Civil Disobedience, Say Hey

RobbieL

mr. president
Haven't been around here in a while but I finally have something worth posting. These are two new songs that my band recorded about a month ago. They were tracked completely live with the exception of the sax and guitar solos and acoustic guitar on Say Hey. The only thing that I added in the mix was Guitar Rig for the electric instruments. Everything else is as-is. Comments appreciated.

Mic config:

Drums:
Beta 52 (kick)
(2) 57s (snare, top/bottom)
57 (hat)
PVM 520i (OH L, not used in either mix)
Prodipe A1 (OH R)
--------------------------------------------
DI (bass, electric guitar)
ST55 (vocals)
57 (sax)
57 (acoustic guitar

SoundClick artist: Muster Station - page with MP3 music downloads

Not too bad. Real sax is a great touch. The drums are too busy and sloppy. All those accents and shit are distracting and if they're not tight it turns into a trainwreck. They're called "ghost" notes for a reason. I like the idea of the pattern, but you gotta make it flow better. The rest seems okay. There's some noise in the acoustic track, and trim all that dead space off the front of the track.

I liked the singer. I liked the guitars too. The busy drums didn't bother me. Overheads are really wide though. Cymbals are a little sizzly.

The song is missing a low end. The bass is way back in the mix. I'm not even sure it's a bass.

Vocals are much dryer than the instruments. They seem disconnected from the rest of the band.

There was about 20 seconds of silence at the beginning.

Yea I haven't gone ahead and chopped up all the dead space yet because I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I agree with Greg about the drummer. He can sometimes take too much of a creative license but at the same time I don't want him getting too basic. I agree with the vocals being wicked dry too, I can't seem to find a good effect to use. Do you guys have any suggestions? And as for the bass, that's the hardest thing to get balanced for me especially with the room I do all my mixing and shit in. It's very reflective and we had to buy a subwoofer for it.

I like the idea of the busy drums but if its not dead on its dead off with that kind of drumming (and its not dead on in this song). The saxophone was great. The bass def needs more of a presence. The dry vocals are kind of nice, its like he's right next to me. cymbals seem louder than the rest of the drums (at least the hats in civic disobedience is where i noticed it). both songs have a great feel to them!

"Say Hey" - Saxophone sounds like "buttah". I love it. How did you record it? With just a 57? Wow... Sounds great. Drums are too messy for me. The whole song sounds too loose.
"Civil Disobedience" - Beginning vocals reminded me of Collective Soul. Drums sound a bit soft, like they were recorded through a pillow or something. Maybe it's just the snare.

Both songs have a very loose "live" feel.

Sax was done w/ a 57. Sound is very live because it was tracked in my basement where there's nothin' but concrete. But the control room sounds worse and much more hollow.

Back