Cigarettes

Nice tune and collaboration. Your combined style reminds me a bit of George Van Eps and Howard Alden. Good stuff!
Joseph

When I think of 'Little Darlin' I think of the Diamonds lol.

I liked the tune you linked to, but I liked the sound of those big-bodied jazz guitars even more. Your post might wind up costing me some money. :-)

Tjarko's bgv's need a significant hike. I'd also pull back on your guitar a hair ... maybe just pull the compression back slightly. There's a bit of a compression sheen to it.

I'd also lighten up just ever so much on the two buss - just a hair in the "too much limiting" category.

Tjarko's bgv's need a significant hike. I'd also pull back on your guitar a hair ... maybe just pull the compression back slightly. There's a bit of a compression sheen to it.

I'd also lighten up just ever so much on the two buss - just a hair in the "too much limiting" category.
There's a brickwall set at -1 on the master bus. I read you on my guitar - I was uncertain about it. I'm less convinced about T's bvs, though. We conferred already, but I'll ask him again.

There are two kinds of feedback - guitar amp, and mp3 forum. I avoid the former, and welcome the latter. ;-)

Love the groove, you guys complement each other well, and I agree, Tjarkos playing is so tasteful and perfect. Also agree with K-dub, pulling the acoustic back just a little would perhaps sit a little nicer in the mix, Great performance fellas!

Maybe it's good to mention: please be aware that the Oktava MD55 microphone doesn't have any frequencies above 8000Hz, low end drops off quickly too (I think at 60Hz, but both my voice as the Pignose don't have any energy in that area). There is a very limited bandwidth in other words, and it makes it also harder to mix. That's the kind of friend I am. :giggle:

Maybe it's good to mention: please be aware that the Oktava MD55 microphone doesn't have any frequencies above 8000Hz, low end drops off quickly too (I think at 60Hz, but both my voice as the Pignose don't have any energy in that area). There is a very limited bandwidth in other words, and it makes it also harder to mix. That's the kind of friend I am. :giggle:
When Tjarko sent me the parts, the first thing I did when I loaded them into the DAW was insert an EQ and took a look. 'Nothing above 8K?' I wondered. 'Why did he EQ that out?'

As usual, unique and tasty. Agree that your guitar could come down a smidge. Talented guy, Tjarko.

My talent: I write songs and deliver them more or less in time, in tune, with feeling.

Tjarko's talent: musical sophistication and charm.

Plain and fancy - a match made in heaven lol.

Very interesting tune. Nicely performed by both of y'all.

The only thing is that it seems a little boomy overall. I don't know that it's a mix issue. It may be that you're strumming those full, six- and five-string barre forms of seventh chords. Combined with your baritone vocal, it kind of builds up in the low mids a bit, IMHO. I would think it might sound better if you leaned out some of those guitar voicings so it didn't occupy so much space.

Very interesting tune. Nicely performed by both of y'all.

The only thing is that it seems a little boomy overall. I don't know that it's a mix issue. It may be that you're strumming those full, six- and five-string barre forms of seventh chords. Combined with your baritone vocal, it kind of builds up in the low mids a bit, IMHO. I would think it might sound better if you leaned out some of those guitar voicings so it didn't occupy so much space.

That thing where you go 'Really? What are the chances?' And you can never make that calculation without actually trying it.

I tried it out with the suggestion to cut the level of the guitar, and it actually helped the mix a bit - cutting the guitar a taste allowed other things to get heard better. Always true, but especially and obviously true in such a simple mix.

So I'll try out the 'get rid of boominess' thing you mentioned, but I think that if you heard the new mix with the reduced guitar level, it would sound less of what you're hearing and describing. Or maybe I just have a higher threshold for low mids in a simple mix lol.

Back