Church Users Question

Ed Dixon

For those who have some experience with live music in church, do any have data on typical sound pressure levels during upbeat music? What would be a typical db reading during an upbeat vigorous song?

Ed

Ed Dixon said:
For those who have some experience with live music in church, do any have data on typical sound pressure levels during upbeat music? What would be a typical db reading during an upbeat vigorous song?

Are we talking praise band, pipe organ, or choir? How far away? How big a church?

Unfortunately, a lot of perception of volume levels is heavily biased on taste. At our contemporary service we generally hover around 90-95db at the console when we are using 3 vocals, acoustic guitar, keys, bass, acoustic drums and electric guitar. Most of the people who attend that service think it could be a little louder, but that it's ok. The people who usually attend our more traditional service complain that 90 is too loud...however the organ that is used in the traditional service averages 100+. It's just a matter of individual preferences and finding a balance.

A wise and experienced sound man in a church once told me that you have it set right when everyone is complaining at the same volume. Rather sad, but also true.

we are in the high 90's in the front pews. Behind the drum shield, the skin basher is getting 110dB peaks!! About 85dB in the back of the room. Of course the sound booth is stuck back there in our current temp location. Old chuch, horrible accoustics.

I agree with some other comments. Poor mixes at 90dB will get more "turn it down" than beautiful blends at 102dB. I am sure some speakers/talkers/preachers hit those low 100's too when they get "going"!!

I know for fact, some of those old pipe organs will rumble at 105+dB.

On stage, I am comfortable with 100....105dB standing in front of my guitar cabs. I only submit to that for 20 minutes or so (plus pre service warmup)...so OSHA I think is still happy. :) but worry about the drummer.

Appreciate the comments. This is a room that seats about 350. We have drums, bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboard, congas (percussion) and 3-8 vocalists depending on song and week.

A far percentage of what is played there is high-energy contemporary Christian music. My previous experience at another church, with similar music, was a target goal of a 92-94 db range in the back of the room.

Ed

Seems like we had a Radio Shack SPL meter at the console in the back and they were instructed to keep it around 85dBA.

Also, if you have a balcony it will affect the projection of sound to the back of the room. In our case, we have excellent projection to the balcony, but it is fairly poor in the area under the balcony.

apl said:
Seems like we had a Radio Shack SPL meter at the console in the back and they were instructed to keep it around 85dBA.

Let the sound crew keep the meter at what ever level they want. Let the Holy Ghost allow the praise team to play at what ever volume they feel led to!! :cool:

85dB, eh?? got some people over 30 sittin' in dem pews, eh?? :p

I do loads of sound in churches. I'd say, use your ears and your judgement. Take in high consideration what kind of audience you have. I've done sound for churches that want the old folks to hear everything and nothing more, and done sound in churches who are as contemporary as it gets, and want blinding volume.

mixmkr said:
Let the sound crew keep the meter at what ever level they want. Let the Holy Ghost allow the praise team to play at what ever volume they feel led to!! :cool:

85dB, eh?? got some people over 30 sittin' in dem pews, eh?? :p

Yeah, they often ended up around 90.

When I mix it peaks at 94 at the booth, but I try to keep it around 92 during driving passages. Soft passages are around 85-88. Ours seats about 1050.

Back