Church CD in the works

Singtall

before i get too deep into committing to one guitar tone, i thought i would post a little clip of the raw tracks i recorded so you guys could tell me what you think of my guitar tone. i'm using an eleven rack for all guitars.

https://soundcloud.com/singtall/you-are-good-raw-tracks-1

the bass guitar was done with the eleven rack too.

the drums were done with cheap audio technica mics through a presonus studiolive 16.4.2 mixer sent firewire to my pc.

this is pretty much exactly how we play it live, so no crazy overdubs yet.

if anyone has read any of my threads you will know i have battling room sound and eq issues. this is the first project i've done in my shed/studio, so i need a little feedback on the tone i'm getting. mostly what i need to know is if the raw tracks are within the realm of "normal" and worth mixing down later.

You'd get responses if it was in the right section. This should be in the MP3 Clinic.

Moved to MP3 clinic.

I had a listen and I can't really comment on the guitar tone.

Amongst my assortment of guitars I have an old Yamaha 6 string that hasn't seen a string change for years. The strings have absolutely no life in them. Yet I use that guitar quite often, because its particular sound is exactly the sound I want. Were I to ask somebody about its sound, there's a good chance that the first thing they would say is "change the strings".

You need to trust your own judgement. If the sound of the guitar suits the purpose, then go with it.

Your question is very subjective. Sounded OK to me, but I couldn't/wouldn't say if it is the right sound.

I'm with DM60 on the guitar tone. I thought it sounded pretty decent. But without a full mix with vocals, it's tough to tell for sure. The doubling wasn't super tight. I don't know if that was intentional or not. But the guitar balance bounced back and forth from one side and the other.

I thought the kick sounded pretty good. Snare was a little grainy, but not bad. Overheads were really swishy and didn't sound good at all. That could be because of the mics. But it could also be where they were placed. Or an MP3 conversion.

i'm still a newb here, so pardon the wrong section post.

the doubling isn't too tight, it's two guitar players using the same exact rig....probably a bad idea. as long as it's not terrible, it could work.

the drums were recorded with cheapo audio technica mics, and the cymbals are cheap zildjian zbt's....so i can't expect much there.

the church band has only been around for one year, so we are just trying to record the best of what we are now, we will upgrade gear and improve the recordings as we get the money.

Back