Chrome (type II) tape only for TASCAM 133?

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
Hi folks,
I don't have a manual for my TASCAM 133 cassette deck, and there aren't any switches on the front for manually adjusting tape type or bias. So basically, I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be using chrome type II tape only (like in the portastudios) or if it's fine to use other types as well (normal, metal)?

Any help much appreciated, thanks guys! :)

Some of the later TASCAM decks were auto-sensing, but I think the 133 uses high bias only... like a portastudio.

The 102, 103 and 130 use auto-sensing based on notches in the cassette shell.

:)

Ok, thanks for the reply!

So normal (type I) and metal (type IV) tapes will cause excessive wear on the heads, right?

So normal (type I) and metal (type IV) tapes will cause excessive wear on the heads, right?

type 1 and 4 will not be the correct bias / eq, sounding "off" and the metal tape may indeed cause more wear, although some disagree about that last part. ;)

Ah, that explains a lot actually!

I was listening to a few type I music cassettes (commercial releases, so they're "good" recordings) and they seemed to be really bassy -or woolly- sounding, with not much top end.

What I like about this deck is the ability to run the tape at high speed, a feature I wish they'd included on the 122. With clean, demagnetised heads, the right tape and double tape speed, you can get some remarkably good recordings...

Anyway, thanks! You guys have been most helpful!

Back