Chromatic Harmonica mic session

riffy

I recently conducted a small mic comparison with several different chromatic harmonicas. The mics are kinda not what I would have liked to have but they'll do for now until I get my close-miked session underway. My first time doing this, so go easy. This really is alot of work and now I have a new appreciation for the fellas who do this kinda stuff.

The dynamic mics:
AT 814a
Audix OM-2
Audix i5

The condensers:
Rode K2
CAD E-100
Oktava MK012

Mackie 400F was used for preamp & conversion.

http://slidemeister.com/media/mic-test-1/mic-test.html

i got good results micing harmonica with an i-5 through a chameleon labs 7602. the eq helped and i was able to push it to overdrive a little to good effect.

The chromatic as opposed to the diatonic is a more intricate instrument that is harder to play. Playing some Mozart with a diatonic really ain't gonna happen while with a chromatic it's totally do-able. Trying to get a overdriven sound is not really what a chromatic harmonica player is after.

But after doing the test I found myself digging the i5 best, generally. I think with the chord and the bass some of the other mics sounded pretty good too.

my fave part about recording harmonica is you have to fuck it up for the guy or he usually hates it.

fuck it up?

not a problem!

Mike
'fucking it up since 1970'

Back