christian rockers

danobi

Hey, does anybody out there do covers from bands like Pillar / kutless / TFK / Jonah33, or other christian rock bands? what kind of gear do you use or would like to use?

i'm currently using a BC Rich Warlock with EMG81 pickups through a Marshall AVT150H. i use a crybaby wah and mostly just use the amps built-in effects. i'm also on the verge of purchasing a Boss CS-3 compression pedal to get some nice tone.

don't get me started on using a warlock, it's from my metallica days... (hangs head).. i have a PRS singlecut w/ black cherry finish (ooooh) being built, it'll be another month & 1/2 until i get it. can't wait, can't friggin wait.

for recording i use my Fostex VF80. i get some pretty decent sounds out of it, i'll post a song on here on friday. currently you can check out my site: www.geocities.com/beastadonk. there is a song there that i made when i first got the vf80. more of a joke than anything.

i play some more toned down stuff in church, as most of our congregation is +50, so i'll do some Jeremy Camp, and Hillsong stuff.

rawkin. later
-dan

bout that site...

yeah, my site's not the greatest in the world, i built it for fun and it's pretty darn sloppy. but there's a drop-down menu with 'tribute to evil betty' (from the movie kung pow, cuz betty is just awesome) please just disregard everything else. :cool:

What do you use at church? Our guitarist uses a pod, and when I bring my electric into kids' church, I use an RP50 so I don't need a loud amp.

in church

i use the warlock into a crybaby into my avt150H. and i have a dod tech4 that i use only for a tuner, although it does have some ok effects.

I'm trying to start a band in Seattle that's a blend of Weezer, Relient K and stuff like Further Seems Forever, Glasseater, and Thursday . . . so it's not really related to that genre of music but it is Christian! The guitarist I have uses a Les Paul copy and sometimes my Epiphone SG through a Marshall JCM 600. It sounds great and if you play around enough with EQ you can get all of that sound.

I helped set up for the Kutless / TFK concert here in Seattle and they both had all Mesa Boogie gear, so that's the tone you're trying to emulate. It's actually a lot higher gain than the Marshall AVT can do so some kind of distortion pedal would probably help you get there. It's good you have EMGs in your guitar.

mesa-boogie has always been my dream amp. even back when i played metallica, and was idolizing kirk hammet. that's what spawned the emg81's. I'm not trying to emulate their sound, per se, but i have a lot of respect for the aforementioned because of the sound they've managed to get. especially Pillar on their new cd, wow

playit said:
It's good you have EMGs in your guitar.

actually, the EMG 81's that i have i don't really care for, as far as rhythm guitar goes... for lead work i can get a pretty nice sound but nothing i've fallen in love with. now, the PRS #7's that are coming on my singlecut are rockin. Kutless uses Schecter guitars (c1 elite with Duncan Designed HB-102
pups)... and i love their sound. I've never found out what TFK is using for guitars... if you've helped them setup, do you know? i have a hard time finding it online... from a reliable source anyways...

if i were to buy a second amp i'd mesa all the way, and for a guitar i would consider the schector... or at least the duncan hb-102's.... i hate copying anyone's sound, but man i love kutless's sound.

Sorry, TFK was really scarce of all the bands. I don't really know why. But I do know that in addition to Schecters, the one Kutless guy was trying out a new Fender Strat with double humbuckers. I don't know which model they were, but they were Duncans. I saw him cleaning it after the show and he said it was his "new toy." That makes me think the pickups are the biggest part of their sound but he could also use that guitar for just one or two songs. I didn't have a chance to ask.

hollowbody, wow... i may be out of the loop but i don't recall many hard rockers, especially new age, that use a hollowbody over a hardbody.
aw gee thanks, now i -have- to go find out what gear they used on their last record...
thanks playit

Some percentage use Gibson 335s, or similar models, which are considered hollow body. Many pros have used this model for both live and recording.

Ed

i guess i should've been more clear...
i would never've thought one could get a big fat new age rock sound out of a hollowbody. and i was wondering if it is even possible.. i'm no guitar buff as i'm from a small town where the music shop stocks stuff that sells the most. everything else is ordered in... i've never played a hollowbody and really don't know it's limits.
i was just surprized to see TFK's guy playin one, because they have the big rock sound i was mentioning.

Back