Christian Acoustic

Nick98338

Many here have graciously allowed me to write critique of their work. Now, it's time that I returned that favor.

I think I have (finally) started to figure out some of the skills of the mastering step. So, I offer my first, completed recording for your assessment.

http://www.soundclick.com/somuchjoy

Thanks

Awesome first job! I'd kill for that kind of acoustic sound. Can you talk me through the rhythm guitar and how you recorded it and how you mixed it? It sounds a bit phased or something from R to L. I would also love to have a deep singing voice like yours.

There's a bass in there? I think there is but it is too low in the whole scheme of things...why don't you try bring that up some or give it a different spot in the stereo space?

Anyway, I do like this kind of song...not the religious aspect or anything (although it doesn't bother me), but I do like the minimal instrumentation and the simplicity.

It's a very nice piece and I'd love to hear how you did it.

:)

Whoa... thanks for the great comments. There are two rhythm guitar parts. Tracked separately, but played nearly identical. Both tracked with the Martin and an AT 3035 mic. One part panned 70% left, the other 70% right. A little compression applied to smooth out the peaks. The little solo intro was also tracked with the 3035, no panning. In all cases, I set the mic a little above the level of the sound hole. The mic points straight ahead, level to the ground. The guitar is about 8-10 inches from the mic. The guitar is angled upward slightly. So, the mic is not pointed straight toward the sound hole, but the sound hole is pointed straight toward the mic.

The bass was produced with a synth. I knew I needed something to fill the down beats since the guitars were going to be all off beat. So, I decided on bass, found a free synth, and produced several individual notes. I then just pasted them all together into a complete track. The initial notes sounded to me, well… synthesized. I EQd the heck out of it in an attempt to make it more acoustic sounding. Still, when louder, it sounds synthesized, so I dropped the volume.

All of the instrument (mono) tracks were then mixed into one stereo track.

The vocal was done with the Studio Projects C1 mic. Home made, nylon stocking pop screen. Some compression applied. And, a little reverb applied with the Glaceverb VST. The instrument track then mixed with the vocal track to produce one near-final stereo track.

Now, over the last year, I’ve made dozens of recordings similar to this. All of them just so-so recordings, IMHO. They have sounded, ah… home-made. The difference this time is the application of mastering effects. This recording is the first time I’ve used them. Stereo, multi-band EQ, reverb, harmonics, and stereo imaging VST effects. Completely changes the sound of the whole thing. Much more “pro” sounding.

Lastly, convert the stereo final-final 24/96 track to a 16/44 .wav file and a 16/44, 128bps .mp3 for Soundclick. That's pretty much it.

Nick98338 said:
. Both tracked with the Martin and an AT 3035 mic.

you recorded the acoustic with at 3035?! Woah! That's amazing. That's an amazing sound for a mic you can buy new for under 200 bucks!

This is very good. The bass line is cool, but I'd love to hear it on a full on stand-up bass. Maybe you could tell us exactly what mastering plug ins you used? Acoustic sounds very very full, I love the sound of my Martin, but double tracking yours makes it sound really really solid. You should check out 'Full Force Gale' by Van Morrison.

Nick98338 said:
Many here have graciously allowed me to write critique of their work. Now, it's time that I returned that favor.

I think I have (finally) started to figure out some of the skills of the mastering step. So, I offer my first, completed recording for your assessment.

http://www.soundclick.com/somuchjoy

Thanks

First - I know we all appreciate your feedback Nick....
Good playing and singing! Sounds like I'm right there listening. This is a great sounding mix Nick. You've got a big full sound on the guitars and they sound close but still retain some roominess. The vocals sit nicely on top of the music (my favorite style :D ). Good Job.....

Merry Christmas !

:D :) :D :)

Very good! That sounds awesome. I don't know anything else to tell you other than what's already been said. Keep it up

Dude, this Christian song is really cool. :)

I like the simplicity of the vocals and tracks. The guitars sound really nice and vox sound pretty pro level. Overall the track sounds well rounded. :)

I wouldn't know that this wasn't a pro recording. :)

Very nicely done......I also appreciate the simplicty of the song......a couple of instruments and a pleasing voice....again, very well done!!!!

i like how low the bass is, sounds old school, and appropriate :)

There's something small about the vocal that I don't like, I think maybe cut a little bit somewhere around 700-1k or something? Something in the mids, it's probably the mic though.

Back