Chris's turn...

I use an old strat through a Yamaha DG STOMP pedal...Into A peavey Studiomaster. But I go into the back of the Peavey so that I just use it as a speaker. I mic that with an sm57 and straight into my TASCAM 2488.

I've been wanting to buy another guitar. I got a Squire and that's all. I think Guitar Center is selling the SM57's for about $70 last time I check. I've also been wanting to buy an SM57 for doing vocals. But I would have to convince my brother to sing. :)

ido1957 said:
... the guitars on this new mix. It's almost like they've been re-amped (sp?). It makes the song rock a bit more......

:D Thanks, idol. That's what I was going for.

I actually just doubled it. I sent the original guitar to a bus at unity gain and set up a...oh, 37ms or so...delay to knock the fake second guitar slightly out of time with the first. Panned hard right and left with the fake guitar turned down slightly to make room for the real secondary guitar part. The send is post fader so I could control the volume of both tracks with one fader.

It usually better to just record a second guitar track- much more realistic- but this is an easy way to cheat if you don't have that option. Rami, this is how you start filling those 24 tracks- play all your guitar parts twice. Except the solos, unless you're really daring!

As for the rest of it, I EQ'd things more or less the same way Llarion did. By ear, listening to what needed to be brought out or turned down. I "reamped" (Amplitube) the bass figuring it had been recorded direct and the amp/speaker sim did a lot of the EQing for me. I didn't touch the guitars at all, though, with EQ or compression.

The drums, and a little bass, were also sent to a buss where they were *heavily* compressed with Pro Tool's BF76 plug set with all buttons in. Attack and release set so that the submix pumped and beathed in time with the song. Then the drum and bass sub was brought up to a few dB under unity. Voila- fat compressed drums with all their transients intact.

I added a faint delay for the solo and automated it a bit to emphasize certain parts- its should be fairly subtle. Panned the delay about 35 left and the solo about 35 right- same place the secondary guitar was. Theoretically the 2 parts would be played live by the same person so it seemed more realistic that way.

Lots of little volume atuomations going on. At key transitions the guitars are always coming up a little as soon as the vocals stop. Keeps it loud without just smashing the whole mix through a compressor. Vocal automation to bring quiet phrases up to compete with the loud guitars.

The lead vocal tracks ARE fairly heavilly compressed - the BF76 again - at 4:1. There is no threshold control on it, but the thresh is the equivalent of about -30. That's part of the vocal sound you're talking about, Rami. The trick is to not just compress the peaks but the whole track. Its not gentle, but because its also not just on the loud parts it doesn't stand out. Rock'n'roll, baby...

Other than the delay on the solo and the very last syllable of the lead vocal, the rest of the mix is bone dry. The squashed drum subs brought some of the room sound up in the mix, but I didn't feel like adding anything else. Kept it pretty raw- which seemed to be Rami's intent.

Take care,
Chris

This thread is unusual in its number of views. Usually the posts to views ratio is about 1:10. This thread's had 22 posts and ten thousand views! That's something like 1:450.

Have aliens tapped into the forum? Are we being monitored by alien audio engineers intrigued by our warm tube tone? Rami, you SAY you're Canadian. Are you really an alien from an advanced civilization? That would explain the drumming ability.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Have aliens tapped into the forum? Are we being monitored by alien audio engineers intrigued by our warm tube tone? Rami, you SAY you're Canadian. Are you really an alien from an advanced civilization? That would explain the drumming ability.

Tim

Maybe "Canadian" is deceiving. To connect your points and stir the speculation... I'm Canadian and look at my picture below :p

Whoah!!! I didn't notice that! 10,000+ views. What the hell is all that about?

Chris, thanx alot for that explanation, very informative. Damn, so now I have to double all my guitar parts??? It never ends I tell you!!!!

Thanx again for the mix and for the info.

The thread views was was over a thousand almost right from the start, if I recall. I think its a bug in the BBS. Almost like each 1 vew counts as 100 or something.

Rami, you're welcome. I got to satisfy my curiousity about what I was hearing in the drums as well. Its a rare treat, actually, to get into the raw tracks of someone else's song. :)

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
Its a rare treat, actually, to get into the raw tracks of someone else's song. :)

Take care,
Chris

Sheesh... I'd be HAPPY to offer up some raw tracks. ANYBODY has to be able to do better with them than I am. ;)

Back