Choosing the right congas

Nick The Man

Hey there,
I'm in the market to buy some congas! I'm a percussion player, so I do know some of the brands but for the most part I've been loyal to LP. My next purchase of congas doesn't seem to be as cut and dry as everything else, especially cause they're so much $$$. Currently I'm looking at the LP Matador series. On eBay a common thing is a 1998's matador congas, they seem to go for pretty cheap, I don't know if 98 was a bad year for LP or something. Also, a lot of fiberglass congas are for sale.

So from you guys, I was wondering if you had any input before I lay down a lot of cash on some congas. Which do you think I should buy? Any other brands to recommend? Anything wrong with congas from 98 haha. Really any input would help!

Nick!
:cool:

Forgot to mention that my intentions are to use them almost exclusively live, sometimes we will have mics available... sometimes we don't. I heard the fiberglass ones were louder than wood.

I bought a set of Black Mamba congas back in 1990. I'd been wanting a set as I'd just bought some bongos and this well known local hood walked into the adventure playground I worked in at the time and asked if the playground wanted to buy them. They actually belonged to him. I asked him how much and he said £80 so I said forget whether the playground wants them, I'll take them !
20 years on, I still have them. They are fibre glass and I've always dug their sound. I bought them primarilly for my drummer friend to play as we were just getting back into jamming again. Years later, he bought his own set and they were wooden. To be absolutely honest with you, in the hands of even a semi decent player, I can't tell the difference. Maybe the fibre glass ones resonate/ring a little more. Either way, if you're sometimes not using mics, you'll be well heard. I don't know if this helps at all. If not, at least you got a free story out of it ! :D

I'm not a drummer, but I like to keep decent toys in my studio for drummers. I've got a set of fiberglass congas, & my regular drummer loves 'em. Has no problem getting great sounds out of them. (After he tuned them for me! :D)

I'm not a very skilled drummer..and even less skilled at as a percussionist..but I own both, fiberglass and wooden Congas.

The difference my ears hear, is that the wooden ones have a richer, deeper resonance.

I actually like having both for variety.

I'm not a very skilled drummer..and even less skilled at as a percussionist..but I own both, fiberglass and wooden Congas.

The difference my ears hear, is that the wooden ones have a richer, deeper resonance.

I actually like having both for variety.

Yeah, but what color are they? Maybe the resonance comes from being a deeper color??? :confused:

Or maybe not...

Yeah, but what color are they? Maybe the resonance comes from being a deeper color??? :confused:

Or maybe not...
Color? I don't know whether to be gullible or what here..why would color make a difference?

Very light golden toned wood on one..not sure type of wood though. The other one is painted black and highly laquered...and is heavier wood than the golden toned one.

The fiberglass set is painted red.

Color? I don't know whether to be gullible or what here..why would color make a difference?

Very light golden toned wood on one..not sure type of wood though. The other one is painted black and highly laquered...and is heavier wood than the golden toned one.

The fiberglass set is painted red.

Nah...I was just being stupid. I guess I should've said that mine are white and not so resonant.

I am teh fail at humor. Talk to you soon.

Nah...I was just being stupid. I guess I should've said that mine are white and not so resonant.

I am teh fail at humor. Talk to you soon.
See..when I play it straight, it's supposed to be funny..and when it's supposed to be straight, I am the fool...no wonder everyone thinks I'm an airhead.:D

No harm done..your stupid made me laugh!..besides, when you are a mad skillz'd geetar man, you can get away with stupid...sometimes...:spank:

My fiberglass set are red. But I guess there's no such thing as red mambas....:D

Okay, I know a bit about this.
The reason that your wooden congas sound richer is not only that they are wood, but because they are thicker, denser and heavier. Fiberglass is chosen for being lightweight and ease of transport and often people are willing to sacrifice sound for the advantage of transporting them.
Thicker shells allows the sound to resonate and be more directed and the sound doesn't "leech-out" of the shells as quickly.
Congas should be made of wood with a barrel stave kind of construction, and hardwood is better. The heads should be from cow (or water buffalo) and not from goat (it's way too thin and sharp sounding). Synthetic heads are popular with a lot of folks (just not serious conga players).
LP makes perfectly good and serviceable conga sets (conga, tumba and quinto) and are of professional quality and available most everywhere. There are other more expensive and depending on who you talk to, higher quality drums on the market, but LP products will suit you quite nicely.

Over the years I've owned a few sets of congas & bongos - while drum kit is my main axe, I've done a few hundred gigs as a percusionist. I've only purchased LP or Toca. Since you mention your intent is mainly live use - I will focus on that.

Certainly LP makes quality gear and the Matador series are fine (I'm not aware of a particular quality problem with the 1998 production year). I personally play Toca at this time (fiberglass - with synthetic heads) - but have owned LP. I do find LP to be slightly overpriced compared to Toca - but both are good companies.

There are many companies - some may be very good boutique gear ..... but I always need to have my hands on an instrument before I'm willing to pay out money ....... LP and Toca are more readily available - so that's what I have choosen over the years.

Regarding wood vs. fiberglass. Certainly wood tends to be warmer (it also is more subject to temperature changes, etc. - making it harder to tune). Fiberglass tends to be louder than wood (it can cut though a mix better). Fiberglass may be less "warm" but in a live setting - that is not a bad thing.

I choose fiberclass for live work because it can cut better than wood. Candidly, I want my congas to have a sharp attack and I'll take that over warm. A quality fiberglass drum can still sound very good. I've done many recordings of both wood and fiberglass (on both sides of the glass) and I often prefer a fiberglass drum.

Regarding animal skins vs. synthetic heads - animal skins can be very subject to temperature, humidity, etc. You have to continue to tighten them more and more until they eventual stretch out, go dead and have to be replaced . You have to maintain the heads with moisturizer (and soaking the skins to replace them etc. is a pain in the ass) not to mention the cost. Synthetics hold a tune, are not impacted nearly as much be temperature, etc. they have a longer life - and for live use ..... they cut more.

Like any instrument choice - a musican should trust their ears - but cost, durability, dependability and other factors must also be considered - in particular with gigging applications.

Okay, I know a bit about this.
The reason that your wooden congas sound richer is not only that they are wood, but because they are thicker, denser and heavier. Fiberglass is chosen for being lightweight and ease of transport and often people are willing to sacrifice sound for the advantage of transporting them.
Thicker shells allows the sound to resonate and be more directed and the sound doesn't "leech-out" of the shells as quickly.
Congas should be made of wood with a barrel stave kind of construction, and hardwood is better. The heads should be from cow (or water buffalo) and not from goat (it's way too thin and sharp sounding). Synthetic heads are popular with a lot of folks (just not serious conga players).

If the fibre glass congas are meant to be lightweight and easy to transport, then somebody ain't doing their job ! Mine are hernia inducing !

I've had a set of LP Aspire congas for about 11 years now - water buffalo heads, and a very warm sound. They have always performed great on studio sessions and live stuff, and they have a nice warm sound, too (much better than my friend's $700 fiberglass set).

Top it off with the fact that you can get all three available sizes for under $450, and they are definitely a steal.

Back