Choosing drum heads (I know.. I know..)

Glad to hear you're happy. Put your finger in the middle of the head and hit about an inch in from each lug. Try and get them all to be EXACTLY the same, and it may reduce your ring. I'm not sure about this, but from my experience, this has helped.

Right now both heads are completely in tune with themselves and the resonant head is tuned up from the batter head

I think tonight ill go through and read the Drum Tuning Bible again. The sound im trying to get is your typical tom sound - where you hit it and the pitch drifts downward.

Ive followed the tips ive read about detuning one of the lugs and also tuning the resonant side higher than the batter side but im still not getting it. Ill mess around with it some more later!

nddhc said:
Right now both heads are completely in tune with themselves and the resonant head is tuned up from the batter head

I think tonight ill go through and read the Drum Tuning Bible again. The sound im trying to get is your typical tom sound - where you hit it and the pitch drifts downward.

Ive followed the tips ive read about detuning one of the lugs and also tuning the resonant side higher than the batter side but im still not getting it. Ill mess around with it some more later!
Don't you tune the reso head lower for that sound?

pandamonk said:
Don't you tune the reso head lower for that sound?

my toms have the reso heads tuned higher than the tops and i get that sound. the harder i hit the toms, the more pronounced that "pitch drifting downward" effect is.

i have a Genera HD dry on one of my snares and it's pretty sweet. i don't need to moongel it or anything. it actually made my cheap ass metal snare sound pretty decent. didn't like the HD on my wood snare, went with a Powercenter reverse dot and got a great sound from that one. i got the EMAD 2 on my kick with a EQ3 on the reso side and it is prettty nice. good defined attack, with a short and fat thump. no need for a pillow either. i'd like to try the EC2 on my toms one of these days when i get some mo' money.

Back