Choosing Cables

dremits

Hi there,

I've seen a few posts that mention that cables are important to the quality of audio in a studio and I'm just wondering, how important? How will cheap cables affect the signal? Finally, what sort of price/brand would indicate a cheap but reliable cable that just does the job (I'm thinking primarily XLR and instrument cables)?

For example do you think it would be best to avoid this 8 cable loom selling at £20: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-Channel,-3-...Lead.-New_W0QQitemZ110327177697QQcmdZViewItem

At the moment i'm considering buying these cables: http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/XLR-F-XLR-M-Microphone-Cable-3m/855. Will these just do the job and not affect the quality of the signal?

Thanks,

Get the best you can afford.

Cheap cables have cheap connectors and insulation.

I use mainly Mogami (cuz Monster pissed me off) and ProCo.

Kinda like if you had a Mazerati and put cheap 85 octane gas in it. :D
But seriously, just get the best you can afford.

Luck man...
Kel

I've seen a few posts that mention that cables are important to the quality of audio

Mostly that's BS. The main feature you should care about is durability and quality of the soldering etc. The audiophoole notion that wire affects the quality of sound is nonsense unless the wire is outright defective.

--Ethan

Size matters!

Mostly that's BS. The main feature you should care about is durability and quality of the soldering etc. The audiophoole notion that wire affects the quality of sound is nonsense unless the wire is outright defective.

--Ethan

That is absolutely not true! Cables need to be of significant size. The conductors should be 18 gauge oxygen free copper. Also the capacitance should be as low as possible to reduce high frequency losses. There is a whole complicated science to audio cables. I started my studio with run of the mill snakes, Then I made my own cables with Horizon Studio One cable and the difference was very noticable. Everything had punch and clarity. Go To Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc http://best-tronics.com/ They have great cables. The generic cables you get at most music stores are squashing your signals. P.S Monster cables are an overated commercial scam!
VP:cool:

That is absolutely not true!

Dogmatic statements like this always make me raise my eyebrows.

I have experienced problems associated with poor quality cables, typically the ones already mentioned: insufficient shielding, fragile connectors, weak soldering and so on.

But any reasonable quality cables will work just fine. If there is a sonic difference between these and their upmarket cousins, that difference would be swamped by other problem sources throughout the signal chain, i.e. it is insignificant.

I'm afraid I'm with Ethan on this one: "The main feature you should care about is durability and quality of the soldering".

Again, thanks for the info guys. I've spoken to people with far more expertise in the area than myself and their views echo Ethan's views but I certainly think Vic. Pete says things that need taking into account. But like I said all information is great to draw a conclusion. Cheers.

I certainly think Vic. Pete says things that need taking into account.

Yes, cable resistance, capacitance, and inductance are important parameters that can affect the sound. But even budget cables are fine in that regard. Also, you're looking for line- or mic-level wire, so resistance isn't a big issue as it is with speaker wires.

A few other tips:

The claim that wire benefits from being oxygen-free is ridiculous. All that matters are the three parameters I mentioned above.

When someone claims that changing one competent wire with another affects "clarity" or "fullness" that's a good indication their listening room is untreated and what they're really perceiving is acoustic changes versus listening position. This article explains more:

A common-sense explanation of audiophile beliefs

--Ethan

Whew!!!!!

Well that was a lot to digest, I understand alot of the acoustical and psychoacoustical science, but I know what my ears told me. I hope most eager recordists find out for themselves, like I did.

The main thing to concern yourself with would be durability and quality construction. The cheap cables probably won't last very long. There's really no reason to spend more than about $25-30usd for a 25ft mic cable.

Microphone cables

I was describing my experience with cables other than Microphone cables. Of course I think Microphone cables should be high quality. I dont feel they need to be as robust as interconnect cables.
VP

Last edited:
awhile back I checked out a bunch of guitar cables to see. and my friend did GC's highest dollar one and compared and took it back and it wasn't because he needs money back.

i think its mainly BS. a guitar cable is a guitar cable, as long as your not mixing a speaker cable with a guitar cable etc..

there seemed to be one guitar cable out of like 6 or so in my test, and the sound was either a solder or the guitar tone knob was accidentally moved a bit.:rolleyes:

as far as being road worthy, thats not my arena, a tough, built to handle the road-life cable would take some better quality stuff obviously. But even then there's the ROI, cost level where your at the "standard good quality" and high dollar bullshit marketing stuff.

I think Fender is selling "Relic cables" that come corroded and with bad solder connections if your into that. The Jeff Beck signature Relic cables are going to sell for like $1,000 a Relic cable and come with a used cigerette butt.
(jus kiddin)

You wont find these cables at GC

awhile back I checked out a bunch of guitar cables to see. and my friend did GC's highest dollar one and compared and took it back and it wasn't because he needs money back.

i think its mainly BS. a guitar cable is a guitar cable, as long as your not mixing a speaker cable with a guitar cable etc..

there seemed to be one guitar cable out of like 6 or so in my test, and the sound was either a solder or the guitar tone knob was accidentally moved a bit.:rolleyes:

as far as being road worthy, thats not my arena, a tough, built to handle the road-life cable would take some better quality stuff obviously. But even then there's the ROI, cost level where your at the "standard good quality" and high dollar bullshit marketing stuff.

I think Fender is selling "Relic cables" that come corroded and with bad solder connections if your into that. The Jeff Beck signature Relic cables are going to sell for like $1,000 a Relic cable and come with a used cigerette butt.
(jus kiddin)
http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/guitar/THS.aspx
Try these cables and do an A and B comparison with the cables at GC. Check out the Zarolla cables, I made one for myself, it cost about $100 just for a 20 foot cable. I am not recommending the Zarolla cable, it is way expensive, but is does sound really good. clear and punchy [not just because my room has bad acoustics] These cables are made with copper and silver. Silver is the best conductor.

Back