Choosing a sound card for newbies!

MichaelM said:
johnnymegabyte > regarding your email. Like I said I don't know of any recording cards that have an onboard sound chip. You said you aren't really doing multitrack recording, so you might be better off buying on outboard sound module instead of a new sound card. Most computers will let you send midi data through the joystick port. You just need a cable that is joystick plug on one end, and has midi in and out plugs on the other end.
Thanks Michael M. I like your approach about going outside the box. I'm considering the Roland Juno D synth to replace my Roland D-70 or get the Roland XV-2020, and keep the D-70 as a controller. D-70 has decent sounds, but in NOT GM. Both Juno D and XV-2020 are GM2, which is what I'm after for playback. Now, I've begun to check out pricing in Toronto area. Importing stuff from US, can get wacked with exchange + import duties + GST and PST, and end up paying more, which sucks.

mbenny123 said:
Mike,

Are you talking about this card? http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=2210&category=754&maincategory=754

This has 2 xlr ins and 6 1/4" ins. If it only could record one channel, why would it have 8 inputs?

Even the 1212M has 2 1/4" ins(plus 2 more ins via S/PDIF, and 8 more ins via ADAT, 2+2+8=12). Again, why would it have 12 in's if you could only record one at a time?

I have been looking at this card for many months and haven't heard anything like this.

I seriously think you bro doesn't have the drivers installed right or he isn't using the Patchmix correctly.

Look here for more info: http://www.productionforums.com/emu/default.asp

I stand corrected !! It's the 1212M . And everything I said is a fact .

The Patchbay is capable of 32 odd inputs . The daw software and the card are not . Trust me , it will tell you as soon as you go to route it . You can record in one track in stereo with a left and right channel from separate sources in the two 1/4 jacks but you CAN NOT split them into 2 separate mono tracks .
I'm 1000% positive of this . It doesn't work with the DAW software that comes with it , Cakewalk Home Studio or Cool Edit Pro v 1.2a

I just read thru the manual on their site that combines all the cards and can't find the footnote about this , nor does it say you can do it either .

I will scan a copy of the one my brother in law has and show you in black and white .

If I'm wrong about this , please tell me how to get around this .

johnnymegabyte said:
Now, I've begun to check out pricing in Toronto area. Importing stuff from US, can get wacked with exchange + import duties + GST and PST, and end up paying more, which sucks.

Ha I know how you feel man, you try buying stuff in Australia >:(
Good luck with it anyway.

Maybe I am missing it....

Ok, so I have wanted to do this for some time. I did some basic home recordings in a radio studio at a college I went to with CoolEdit Pro and a studio set up to do radio program recordings. I am trying to understand how to set something up at home that I can do multitrack recording - I would love to be able to play and sing at the same time rather than recording the two tracks seperately.

Now, I understand the need for a multi-input card, and the preference of having a mixer/mic preamp as your "middle man". What I am missing (and I will feel pretty dumb if it is here and I just missed it) is how you can still record multi-track if you go through the mixer. I am going from my rather small experience, but I was not aware that you could have multiple sends from the mixer (not counting moniter vs. main sends, I guess) and thought I would then just have a single signal coming into my computer.

If I want to record simultaneous tracks, what is the physical setup to be able to do this?

Again, sorry if this seems like a newbie question, but hey - we all have to start somewhere. I just hope this hasn't already been answered here and I simply missed it. :)

All that I feared has come to pass.....;)

I started to look through the product links provided at the beginning of the thread, and I am beginning to understand a bit better.

Of course, if you still feel like answering, my feelings certainly wouldn't be hurt!

Your mixer needs to have more than 2 outputs! Either get a mixer that has individual track outputs, or with subgroup outputs.

I stand corrected !! It's the 1212M . And everything I said is a fact .

The Patchbay is capable of 32 odd inputs . The daw software and the card are not . Trust me , it will tell you as soon as you go to route it . You can record in one track in stereo with a left and right channel from separate sources in the two 1/4 jacks but you CAN NOT split them into 2 separate mono tracks .
I'm 1000% positive of this . It doesn't work with the DAW software that comes with it , Cakewalk Home Studio or Cool Edit Pro v 1.2a

I just read thru the manual on their site that combines all the cards and can't find the footnote about this , nor does it say you can do it either .

I will scan a copy of the one my brother in law has and show you in black and white .

If I'm wrong about this , please tell me how to get around this .

Sorry Mike, still wrong.

I now have purchased the 1212m and 3 days ago I recorded 10 INDIVIDUAL MONO TRACKS all at once with Cakewalk Sonar!!!

Believe me, the 1212m is capable of recording separate tracks, from 1 to 12 of them. The first day I got it I was recording 2 individual mono tracks WITHIN AN HOUR OF OPENING THE BOX!

Maybe if you post some more info about your problem, I could try to help, but I've only had the 1212M for a week now, so I don't know...
:confused:

Post your computer specs?
:confused:

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
firewire non-powered mixer

i'm new to this, so maybe someone can steer me in the right direction?

i'm thinking on getting a dual-core amd 64 (no, i can't get a custom-built right now)

i'm also looking at a phonic firewire mixer (non-powered)

now, my question is..

if i get this mixer/interface and use firewire, then i won't have to worry about the crappy stock soundcard, right? i will be bypassing that, right?

thanks for any info and advice.

Back