Choices,Choices,Choices...

sixteenbars

Alright, I running in in to some cash, about $1500. Now right now i have a modest set-up which works ok but i hear the flaults in it and im ready to upgrade. I have a 1.4 amd thunderbird with a mia echo card, a xp-30 keyboard, and,studio projects c1, and a behringer mx602a.oh and tons of software, i bought of course. :)
I have a couple of options. First i know i need monitors so im going with the yorkville ymsp1 actives. that leaves about $1000.
Now i was either gonna go with a soundcraft m12 or upgrade my soundcard with a motu 826. The reason being im looking toward the future being that i will buy more synth modules. I really wanted to know if the pres im the motu are up to par with the soundcraft. Or should I forget about the future and go for a brent averill racked neve. What do you think or what would you guys do? Please give me some advice asap Im buying something in about a week.

if you are electronic music orientated or doing everything by yourself, you probably won't need the motu to track more than 2 tracks at once.

I have heard good stuff about the pres/EQ on Soundcraft mixers.

AL

Yeh i really dont need to track more than two tracks at once, even though it would make laying tracks for production go a little quicker, but are the pres better on the soundcraft, because if there not the way i route though a mixer or a box like the motu would be about the same.

Choices

Sixteenbars...
A Brent Averill racked Neve. Maybe not a futuristic piece of gear but hey!...as a front end device? Sweeeet! What series of Neve?
I use a pair of Brent Averill Neve 1078 Modules (line/preamp/EQ) at a friends studio.
He paid about $3500 for each about 6 years ago.
Are you talking about a channel strip or just the preamp?
Brent has other fine rackables like API preamps and EQ. Theyre quick transparent and punhy as h-ll! And substantially cheaper than the Neve. If you bought a piece of gear like the Neve you would probably keep it forever. Brent stands behind his products too! My friend with the Neves has a "lunchpail" of API pres and EQ...something went Haywire with a couple of the modules and Brent fixed it free of charge 3 years later. Thats what I call product support!
Happy recording, Calkaren

Back