Choice of AI and headphones?

samurai

OK... thanks to everyone for the earlier advice in my post about a drum machine....now I have narrowed my choice of AI to either a Focusrite 2i4, an Akai EIE or possibly an Alesis Multimix 8 FX.... any suggestions or experience of which would be best choice?

Also, it's a long time since I bought any headphones... I have an old set of KOSS cans kicking around somewhere which were quite upmarket 30 years ago but which may have had their day by now ..so can you suggest a decent set which would be good enough for recording without breaking the bank?

As usual, thanks in advance...

Tony

You should actually continue your interface questions in the other thread. Many won't remember what you were looking for. Myself included.

I could go and look it up, but I am kinda busy. :)

I kind of remember suggestion of creating your drums with software. Cubase is likely best for that. Steinberg UR22 comes with a free LE version of Cubase. Have you considered what DAW you intend to use?

Sorry if my memory isn't so good. Long day....

For recording (tracking-not mixing) I was recommended Sennheiser HD280's by many members here. I love them. Think they were $100. I wouldn't recommend mixing with any headphones.

You should actually continue your interface questions in the other thread. Many won't remember what you were looking for. Myself included.

I could go and look it up, but I am kinda busy. :)

I kind of remember suggestion of creating your drums with software. Cubase is likely best for that. Steinberg UR22 comes with a free LE version of Cubase. Have you considered what DAW you intend to use?

Sorry if my memory isn't so good. Long day....

For recording (tracking-not mixing) I was recommended Sennheiser HD280's by many members here. I love them. Think they were $100. I wouldn't recommend mixing with any headphones.

Good point... I'll continue the post in the other thread! It's just I was I was used to recording via headphones when building up tracks/vocals with my old reel to reel gear! I think back then, the old Koss cans I used were around £100 back then which was quite a lot of money in those days.

You're not really comparing apples with apples.

I wouldn't bother with the mixer - most cheap mixers don't give you individual track outputs via USB. I don't know if this one does or not, but worth checking into, or else you're stuck with stereo. The Akai device has 4 XLRs and the Focusrite 2... how many do you need?

Ok, here are my opinions:

Ignore the Alesis Multimix. Crap...No ASIO drivers and low gain preamps.

EIE also does not supply true ASIO drivers. Screw ASIO4All. It is a wrapper to fake true audio streaming. Nothing near professional and considered a 'workaround'. Plus, only 16-bit recording.

Focusrite 2i4 does have MIDI and true ASIO drivers, but limited to 96 kHz 24-bit conversion. Ableton software included (typically not recommended for audio recording guys). Others may say different, but who cares.

Did you even look into the Steinberg UR22? Same price range. Better quality by far to the three you listed here.

Ok, those are my opinions. :)

Ok, here are my opinions:

Ignore the Alesis Multimix. Crap...No ASIO drivers and low gain preamps.

EIE also does not supply true ASIO drivers. Screw ASIO4All. It is a wrapper to fake true audio streaming. Nothing near professional and considered a 'workaround'. Plus, only 16-bit recording.

Focusrite 2i4 does have MIDI and true ASIO drivers, but limited to 96 kHz 24-bit conversion. Ableton software included (typically not recommended for audio recording guys). Others may say different, but who cares.

Did you even look into the Steinberg UR22? Same price range. Better quality by far to the three you listed here.

Ok, those are my opinions. :)

I've just looked at the Steinberg UR22 now... it's very reasonably priced considering what you get! ( £115 on eBay) Looks like you get Cubase AI with it too.... it looks like it will do all that I want so that's sorted! Even my computer is up to it so no need to upgrade!

Also I've just dug out my old Kos cans and they still work perfectly so I don't need any new ones as they were top notch back in their day.... even my old Akai reel to reel is still working fine and I've just spent an hour or so tonight just going through some of my old rehearsal tapes from the late 70's... Might even have a few goes with that until I have my digital setup up and running.

Now I can't wait to get the AI and get cracking at learning the software...however, I have a young bass-player friend who's studying recording at college so I'm sure he'll keep me right until I get the hang of it!
Thanks for your input!

Tony

I've just looked at the Steinberg UR22 now... it's very reasonably priced considering what you get! ( £115 on eBay) Looks like you get Cubase AI with it too.... it looks like it will do all that I want so that's sorted! Even my computer is up to it so no need to upgrade!

Also I've just dug out my old Kos cans and they still work perfectly so I don't need any new ones as they were top notch back in their day.... even my old Akai reel to reel is still working fine and I've just spent an hour or so tonight just going through some of my old rehearsal tapes from the late 70's... Might even have a few goes with that until I have my digital setup up and running.

Now I can't wait to get the AI and get cracking at learning the software...however, I have a young bass-player friend who's studying recording at college so I'm sure he'll keep me right until I get the hang of it!
Thanks for your input!

Tony

You will have many a Cubase user here to get you going. I am one who will be here to help as much as I can. :)

Back