chiseled in stone - newly recorded original

Wow!

Danny, that wuz freaking great!

Why:

The lyric was natural. Good rhyme.
the phrasing...and the little extra-measure dipsy-doodle in the chorus...
really hookish and memorable.

The restraint and taste of a veteran song-deliverer and band leader, or
just gifted, understated, tasteful arranging. Super ears and instincts.

Execution of parts was careful...time: perfect....real attention paid to
performance and perfection.

Voice sweet and airy....relaxed, natural, pitch-perfect. Wicked great to hear.

Progressions make sense...nothing too esoteric , just for superfluous 'dig me'. Only what the song needed to tell the story....and I felt it. Got the emotional message past my brain...and I'm not a 'word guy'. Again, good instincts.

At 0:48, there's a phrase that wanders off....might want to envelope the spot to increase the volume, so it can be heard.

I thought the guitar would do well to have its strings freshened...sounded a little dead and gummy...that Taylor should be ringing.

I also thought that the guitar, bein' a feature throughout the tune, could use stereo miking to fill the field....very mono. But the light orchestration, later, does a nice job of widening. {tastefully done, as well]

Then I figured you were going for abject realism, with the guitar and vocal centered, as in live listening, and though you're onto something pure and realist. Either way, great...but a little ear candy in the guitar...new strings and stereo spread...wouldn't hurt. {the 1/2 step down tuning might have a little to do with the slight deadness of the sound....and clues me in to the likelyhood that you're probably gigging a lot...in 'voice-save' mode. And you sure don't sound like a beginner.

I love everything about this tune...including the quality of the recording.

And I'd enjoy being on a stage with you.

A '10'.

wow man! thank you so much for the detailed response that's very helpful to me! you make a great point about the acoustic guitars being a little mono and dull. i'll go and revisit the mix and see what i can do :).

reps for sure my friend, and i'm glad you enjoyed the song!

Back