Chips: SSM2017 INA217 etc.... (???)

turnitdown

$10 PayPal=Your Ad Here!!
I need some guidance/help/enlightenment regarding chips used in cheap mic preamps...

I have an Aphex 107 that I was told (via lots of sources) uses a SSM2017 chip, and could be upgraded by a swap to a INA217 chip. (which I just happen to have...)

When I opened up the unit, all I can find are 2 chips labeled "SSM-2210P". There is NOTHING marked SSM2017... Is the 2210 an older/newer version of the 2017 ???? (My preamp was manufactured in 1996...)

The chip layout for the SSM-2210p and the INA217 are the same. But, Google/DigiKey shows different chip type descriptions for the 2 chips, causing me to think I will destroy something if I try swapping them... :confused:

Here are the DigiKey entries for the chips:
SSM2017 : Self-contained Audio Preamplifier
SSM-2210P : Audio Dual Natched NPN Transistor
INA217 (Texas Instruments) Preamplifier

Can anyone of the EE types out there let me know if the SSM2210 can be "upgraded" to the INA217??? (Doesn't seem like it, but I have to have SOME preamplifier chip in this thing... Or do I not ??? )

Also, I removed the "Tubessence" from the Aphex by turning down pots VR104 & VR204.... Now it sounds a lot like my Symetrix.... Good... :rolleyes:

Back