Chinese telecoustic/stratacoustic

gibs

I certainly didn't know from any websites, including Fender that these things are made in China....not until today, when I went to a local store and saw the sound hole sticker......I couldn't even bring myself to pick it up and play........

Because.....

I made the mistake of buying a Washburn D10s online some months ago because there were no dealers around here,(I like to check out stuff I might buy online) and I was kinda boggled that it was made in China.which I didn't know until it arrived.....do I feel guitly?....yes.

Fortunately for me, the Washburn is a great guitar, unfortunately for the folks who made it at 10 cents an hour, I am one of the assholes that keep them down........so obviously I still feel guilty....

Why the hell aren't websites like Fender, Washburn, Musicians Fiend, and Sam Ass a little more forthcoming on their information of product origin??????

gibs
:mad:

Duped once, and once is enough..............

I bought a Strat at a pawn shop about two years ago and it said made in china on the back. It should have died in china instead of being made there because it was terrible.

I didn't feel guilty at the time because it was used.

Now I guess I feel a little bit bad.

Thanks for the guilt trip, Gibs.:D

At least your Washburn is a decent instrument. You have no reason to feel guilty, because you didn't know.

dawgie

gibs said:
Why the hell aren't websites like Fender, Washburn, Musicians Fiend, and Sam Ass a little more forthcoming on their information of product origin??????

I agree. Gretsch, too, should let it be known which of their models are made in Korea and which ones are made in Japan. But I guess as long as there's no law, guitar makers and retailers aren't going to be going around bragging that some of thier products are made in China, Malaysia, etc.

It's all so hush-hush.

Why does it matter where it is made? If the quality is there, then it's good. If the quality isn't there, then it sucks.

If you don't want to buy the guitar because you feel bad about the craftsmen only making 10 cents/hour - he won't make anything at all! Just because they are making what we perceive as very little can be a very good living in other countries.

My strat is Mexican - excellent fit and finish. Any lack of quality has to do with the materials used, not the labor pool. So my $ went to help support a guy (or girl) in Mexico. Is there a problem with that?

My Jackson bass was made in India. Excellent all around. I helped support somebody in India.

My J-Turser has terrible electronics. But the fit and finish is amazing. It was made in Korea. So I helped support someone in Korea.

My Seagull is from Canada, etc.

BTW - If we decide to ONLY buy stuff made in the U.S., why should non-U.S. people buy from us????

When I went shopping for an American made Les Paul one weekend, I ended up buying a Korean made Hammer instead. I personally liked the sound better (just a personnal opinion obviously), but the overall quality was much nicer compared to the LP Studios I was auditioning.

Here's the deal though. I played about 5 different LPs - they had very similar characteristics. I played two differen Hammer Standards - The one I picked had a little higher quality fit and finish. But they still played the same.

Moral of this story: It's the guitar, not the country of origin.

Just my opinion...

Fer sure not wanting to start a war here, particularly in my favorite forum...my point was "I sure wish companies would tell me up front where something is made"......

I have a MIM Strat (Jimmy Vaughan, and it's awesome), a MIJ Tele (yup, it's paisley) and it's great too.....but I KNEW before I bought them.....

I've also through the years picked up DeArmonds from Indonesia and a couple of Korean items, but I repeat I knew this when I bought them.....

I felt slammed by the Washburn, because I really do have a problem with China's human rights policies.....and kinda resent that the government there likes our money but won't give its folks a break as far as free speech goes....those workers made a great guitar, though....and I had no idea it was made in China til it arrived.....

And yeah the other countries that I bought products from probably don't have huge wages either, but at least their people don't get gunned down for demonstrating......

No wait, that was Kent State.....oh well nevermind....I say buy whatever ya want............:D

gibs :cool: :D :cool: :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Back