Chickin' Pickin' question

King Elvis

When you have someone like James Burton, who plays in a style commonly called "chickin pickin" what kind of pick configuration do they use. Is it a combination of flat pick and finger picks?? And, what fingers are the picks worn on??

The only Chicken Picking Ive encountered is Alvin Lee's method which Zakk Wyld uses. You hold the pick between the index finger and thumb then use the other three fingers like a banjo player or classical guitarist. Check out Alvin Lee video lesson.

SoMm

I can't speak for James Burton, but many players just use their fingers.

When I do it (and I'm no expert at it ) I hold a regular pick between my thumb and index finger, and pick with the rest of my fingers naked.

Or.... pick with naked fingers, that is.

Or... what I mean is....

Umm...

A
www.aaroncheney.com

James Burton uses a flat pick and a finger pick on his middle finger.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

While I'm sure there are different people doine different things - all the videos I've purchased to try and learn present the flat pick between the thumb & index with the other 3 fingers bare.

Many country cats let their nails grow (and treat the nails to make em hard). The best country picker I've worked with had really long, hard thick nails and he used a real thick pick to match the tone of his nails.

I'm somewhat new to guitar, and am unsure about traditional plucking/picking methods. For electric guitar, what are the most common techniques for strumming, picking, and playing lead? Do many people use their thumb only for soloing? Do most people use a single pick for soloing?

Also, do the techniques for electric guitar playing translate to playing a steel string acoustic? That is, can you play an acoustic more or less the same way or do you have to change techniques?

Similarly with a classical guitar, are there any electric/acoustic techniques that would be effective?

The reason I ask all of this, is because I've heard single guitarists that play all three types of guitar, and I'm just wondering how they do it. Do they learn separate techniques for each one, or do they mainly just do variations of the same technique?

Sorry for all the questions, any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Style and pickin' technique

Well, there seems to be a lot to cover and I don't remember who all said what, but... As far as picking goes, that depends on the music you are playing, as well as which guitar you are playing. I think most classical guitar players prefer finger picking. A lot of blues players mix up both how they pick and their instrument of choice. Some play with picks, and some don't. The heavier the guage of string, I would imagine the more use picks. Some folks play electric, some hollow-body, some acoustic/electric, and some straight up acoustic. Some slide on electric, some on acoustic, some on steel guitars. Picking is different on all those, depending on the style. It's really all about style and then some about technique, and some may say that's two sides of one coin, or the same side. Then there's attitude. Some say, I got a bad one, but I don't care.

Get your opinions, utilize all you can learn in your practice, and pick what fits you best. In the end your style is determined by you and the ability you wish to express. Keep playing though, as your life's ambition, keep playing!

The "traditional" bluegrass guys play with a flatpick ONLY. Think Tony Rice, Doc Watson, Norman Blake.

But then there's an entire other school of guys that play fingerstyle. Like Peter Rowan, who plays with flatpicks/thumbpicks/or no picks. I think Dan Crary has now crossed over to the "dark side" on this too, although when I went to one of his clinics about 15 years ago he was a straight flatpicker.

There's tons of players out there that play both ways. Garcia used to palm his pick under his stump middle finger to pluck "Althea" fingerstyle, then bring the pick out to solo.

Warren Haynes plays fingerstyle with a pick, and also without.

I think Junior Brown plays with a thumbpick and at least two fingerpicks.

Bonnie Raitt plays with a thumbpick and nails. She also does this weird thing I've seen other slide players do, kinda extending her index finger over the string she is playing. I'm not sure if she's using it as a mute, or if it gives a harmonic tone to her playing.

I think both James Taylor and Paul Simon play with thumbpicks when they use a pick.

The guys playing fingerstyle are easy to pick out because it's the only way to play two or more notes simulataneously. They'll pick and pluck at the same time. Especially if those two notes are on opposite sides of the fingerboard!

For a fingerpicker, an important difference between electric and accoustic it that you have to work harder to get the sound out of an accoustic. Using the volume on the amp or guitar, you can get a lot out of little finger-brushes, for instance. With an accoustic, you have to be more deliberate with the strings to get them moving to push the sound out. That's not saying one is better than the other. Which one to use depends on your skills and what you want to with the song. When I need volume from an accoustic, for a bass run for instance, I use a pick. Take a listen to Jimi Hendrix: Blues (MCA, MCAD-11060). The record opens with Hear My Train A Comin accoustic, and closes with an electric version of the same song. Or listen to Buddy Guy and Junior Wells Alone and Accoustic, to hear how someone who we usually hear electric sounds with an accoustic. Best yet, is Chuck Berry accoustic playing Love Cottage for Sale at the end of the documentary Hail, Hail Rock and Roll.

Back