Chicago Tribune Homerecording Article

MAC2

I wasn't quite sure where to post this but if you care to check it out the article does contain "before" and "after" mp3's of Chicago Tribune newspaper staff's recording of "Daydream Believer".

It's a large article about the boon in homerecording....particularly computer recording.

I'm not sure how long it will be up but it was interesting:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/band

A Good Read

Thanks MAC2 for turning me on to the article. It was interesting to
read a balanced piece, wit equal shares of praise and criticism of the harddisc technology out there. Yeah, a guy can take a mediocre performance and make it presentable, straw into gold as the author said.But is it worth 73,456 listens and edits??
Maybe if a guy really likes to do it. Lenny Kravitz did some tracks , maybe on pro-tools that are hot-hot-hot. Gotta Getaway and Are you gonna go my way, if I'm not mistaken. I can't say that they would be improved by cutting them on vacuum-tube driven 1" R2R
Bet it didn't take thousands of edits either. Anyway, thanks MAC2
it was a good read. Chazba

America's Love-Affair

Mmmm, thanks for the interesting article...

I listened to original, and then the fixed version, and was struck by just how "synthetic" the final version turned out to be. I think the article proved quite conclusively that if you "fix-up" a mediocre performance, that is exactly what you will end up with.

I think FZ got it right when he mentioned in an interview that America is in love with mediocrity...

- Wil

Hi Wil & Chazba:

Glad to hear you both enjoyed the article! The side articles on cost analysis and digital editing tools were also pretty interesting.

My partner (Buck62) and I already got some mileage out of it when we told a prospective "client" to read it as a way of judging the costs and capabilities of what we can do.

I thought it might generate some interest and comment(s) here because everyone on this BBS is involved in using this "new" technology.

I for one still enjoy doing all those edits 'cause I really like listening to music and I've heard and learned a lot from doing it.

Interesting article. My personal preference in music whether my own or an established musician's is to keep things as 'real' as possible. Talent over Technology. But from the standpoint of building a home studio, it is cool to know you can - with the right equipment - make anyone sound good. Always a pleased customer.

t

I think the article implied that digital recording means slicing, dicing, cheating, etc.

Just because you choose to record digitally doesn't mean you are going to use Auto-tune, or manipulate "real" performances. Maybe you simply wish to get a recorded result that is as close to the actual performance as possible (better resolution and less noise than analog tape) - the article missed this view altogether.

I can't fu!%ing stand the idea that performance is everything. I think Beck is an artist and Ingwie Malmstein is an impressive athlete but completely boring. If you can produce a moving song from completely artificial means, it doesn't matter one bit if you can play at all(of course this is a big if). Mozart, Lennon and McCartney, Gershwin, etc. were all great because of what was in their head, not their hands.

Of course, there is considerable art in performance as well, but that's a different beast. When people imply that computer aided recording is cheating, they're comparing apples and oranges.

A quote from the article by guitarist Fareed Haque:

I’m a big fan of digital recording," Haque says. "I don't really have any fear that talentless people are going to take music away from the talented ones. There are a lot of hackers out there to be sure, but I was just listening to Beck a few moments ago and he's fabulous -— and a lot of his music is done in Pro Tools. Some people who don't have any chops at all are geniuses, and Pro Tools gives them another way to express themselves."

I think the article did imply that digital recording automatically meant autotone or something along that line, a synthetic sound. I have not been lucky enough or smart enough to experiment with anything like Pro Tools yet, but i think a little enhancement used in moderation is a good thing for musicians and mixing masters. In other words i don't think digital recording necessarily means creating artificial music with tools like autotone.

t

Back