Chet Atkins

dwarf

Ok one more thread, I'm home sick from school and have nothing to do but play my guitar and write in forums.

I've taken a real liking to jazz guitar, especially fingerpicked jazz guitar. Does anyone have the music or tab to "Mr. Sandman" it's done as a solo guitar piece and sounds oh so sweet.

Thanks.

Hey, I love Chet's music, been playin' it since the 60's, but to call it JAZZ....???Maybe you need to take a few more days off from school and listen to
Mahavishnu and GB and some oldschool guys like Wes and Barney Kessel and ...and...and...

chazba

I googled it.

I'm calling it jazz but I can see where you're coming from as well.

But...how would you classify it, I wouldn't call it "rock 'n' roll" fingerpicked?

I dunno

SO good though

'Jazz'?

Jazz is a bitch to describe because it means so much.

Glenn Miller is undeniably 'jazz', but so are Michael Brecker or Farmers Market, so what do they have in common? Not much.

The 'Jazz' genre is too broad to say what 'is' or 'is not' Jazz...

The most critical thing that makes it jazz to me is the improvisational element. Chet's stuff might have jazzy-sounding chords and might swing sometimes but it's all worked-out arrangements, as far as I know.

AlChuck said:
The most critical thing that makes it jazz to me is the improvisational element. Chet's stuff might have jazzy-sounding chords and might swing sometimes but it's all worked-out arrangements, as far as I know.

I thought he did improvise...though I could be wrong

You really just need to check out Joe Pass solo guitar stuff..... If its Jazz your looking for...

IMHO you could safely call Chet A's music Country. Also check out Merle Travis. He's the guy who taught Chet.

chazba

chazba said:
IMHO you could safely call Chet A's music Country. Also check out Merle Travis. He's the guy who taught Chet.

chazba

That aspect didn't even cross my mind but you're right.

I saw Chet Atkins on one of the late night shows several years ago, and before he played, he said something like "this piece is a bit of a departure for me." He then ripped into some killer fusion. I was stunned. The man could play, that's for sure.

Chet Atkins was as expressive a guitarist as I've ever heard. Most of his playing was oriented around arrangements, but listen to his album with Knopfler to hear some great improvising. Never heard him do jazz, but he definitely did jazz-oriented country and pop. Man, genres are so limiting. I was very much impressed by his autobiography, Country Gentleman.

Tim

ChetA was a true master of the guitar and will be ranked with the likes of Andres Segovia and Django. From the time he first recorded Mr Sandman until his death, ChetA never stopped learning and growing on his instrument, so I am not surprised to read that he could whip out some fusion.

chazba

dwarf said:
I thought he did improvise...though I could be wrong

Chet never played two verses the same way, he always tweaked each one to me a little different. He didn't like it to sound to predictable.

I think it is short-sighted to call Chet Atkins a country musician (although he often called himself that). In the early days, he was a boy wonder on radio. Later when he tried to do the Grand Ole Opry, he was more or less shunned as being too fancy/shmancy with his playing - "all that weird jazzy stuff".

Once he made his mark with RCA, though, and got some power -- he helped a lot of those in Nashville that previously dissed him. Suddenly he was very welcome at the Grand Ole Opry (although country purists still did not like it much).

His main competition for attention in those days was guitar innovator Les Paul. Where Les was all about speed and flash -- Chet was all about tone, harmony and melodic structure. What Chet was putting out then -- even for country tunes -- was very clearly progressive jazz, by definition. Each new verse was a progressive variation of the previous.

Meanwhile, in Nashville he was producing the likes of the Everly Brothers (played on many of their cuts) and tons of others -- both country and pop.

The best description of Chet, though, was the one he came up with -- CGP -- Certified Guitar Player.

Back