Check this out...Ultimate Analog Format! (2"-8 track)

smythology

I discovered this site a few months ago after I learned about this so-called Ultimate Analog Format from an article...

http://www.jrfmagnetics.com/index.html?JRF_mainframe=/JRF_ultimateanalog.html

I asked a few people about it, showing them the website, and they were impressed but said it would be a nightmare to use solely because of alignment issues. And that I'd be better off with 2" 16 tr.

I don't suppose anyone here has used it or heard of it?...Is it really pointless to even consider it?

robin

I read the article and it basically recommended this format for mastering movie soundtracks and only on specific 2" machines for the retro-fit.

Do you own a Studer or Otari that JRF refers to?

nope...I'm just interested in what it can do musically. The Beatles used this format from Revolver (I think) onward. There's was a 1" 4 track of course...

smythology said:
nope...I'm just interested in what it can do musically. The Beatles used this format from Revolver (I think) onward. There's was a 1" 4 track of course...
I don't believe there were any 2" 8 track decks in 1966 when Revolver came out.

More to the point, the sound on such a machine would be like wet ice on wet ice; SMOOTH! :cool:

Having said that, big hairy deal! Do you have the Beatles other equipment and talent? I don't. Most of the planet doesn't either.

Insane, high end gear lust is a noble pursuit but let's get serious here for just a second. Owning such a deck or even one close to it guarantees you nothing as an artist and an engineer.

I spent years in my younger days dreaming of owning a 16 track, two inch machine and never thought about the other million dollars in supporting equipment and facility and talent it would take to make real and full use of such a beast.

Pleasant dreams. :cool:

I see they are using those heads on machines to archive stuff from digital - saying if they put the 8-track analog tape reels in the vault it will last longer than digital storage.

As for the "Ultimate-Analog Sound" - we already made the big jump when machines went to 30ips.

Back