Check out this NAGRA!!!

I think those had a variable speed control where you could go from zero to full speed by turning a knob. Great for editing.

I just have a Nagra IV-S. It is fully up to spec, and it sounds amazing. I can't imagine a better tape deck.

A very beautiful piece of machinery. However, I would REALLY hate to try to source parts for it. LOL

I think those had a variable speed control where you could go from zero to full speed by turning a knob. Great for editing.
Someone demonstrates that variable speed in this video:nagra T tape recorder demo - YouTube
Although if it was mine,..I'm not too sure I'd be "scratching" with it.

I just have a Nagra IV-S. It is fully up to spec, and it sounds amazing. I can't imagine a better tape deck.

Right on. Have you used it to sync to video at all?
Just curious...
Is there a way to sync it to more modern video technology?
Do you have the expansion for larger reels? How are the built in pre's on it?
What type of tape do you use with it? (What is it biased for?)
Sorry for all the questions,..I've always wanted one for my live electronic shows,..
and I'm thinkin' I'm gonna start savin' some cash to get one.
I'd just like to hear about some specs from someone who already owns one.

Right on. Have you used it to sync to video at all?
Just curious...
Is there a way to sync it to more modern video technology?
Do you have the expansion for larger reels? How are the built in pre's on it?
What type of tape do you use with it? (What is it biased for?)
Sorry for all the questions,..I've always wanted one for my live electronic shows,..
and I'm thinkin' I'm gonna start savin' some cash to get one.
I'd just like to hear about some specs from someone who already owns one.

I have not sync'd to video with my Nagra. I mainly record live music with it. Not experienced in video. I've done some audio for video, but it was all shot live where I just sent the video crew a feed that was mixed on the fly.

I have the cover for 7" reels, but not the adapter for 10" reels. That is hard to find and very expensive.

The pres are fantastic. Quiet. Nice amount of even-order harmonic distortion if you push them. Subtle but thick. You could pay good money just for a pair of these pres.

I run LPR35, 3M 996 or RMGI 468 (+6 tapes are what the levels are set for). Bias can be adjusted quickly with a 5-position switch. I set it by ear; too much causes the high end to roll off. Not enough and it gets too bright. Just set it where it sounds right.

They are not cheap. I paid $1500 for mine, and had to put another $1200 in to get it up to spec. Lately, I have seen them go anywhere from $2k to almost $5k, but I have seen way less of them coming up for sale. I think they may start going up higher. Parts and service are still easy to find, but I am saving for a spare set of new heads just to be on the safe side.

I have not sync'd to video with my Nagra. I mainly record live music with it. Not experienced in video. I've done some audio for video, but it was all shot live where I just sent the video crew a feed that was mixed on the fly.

I have the cover for 7" reels, but not the adapter for 10" reels. That is hard to find and very expensive.

The pres are fantastic. Quiet. Nice amount of even-order harmonic distortion if you push them. Subtle but thick. You could pay good money just for a pair of these pres.

I run LPR35, 3M 996 or RMGI 468 (+6 tapes are what the levels are set for). Bias can be adjusted quickly with a 5-position switch. I set it by ear; too much causes the high end to roll off. Not enough and it gets too bright. Just set it where it sounds right.

They are not cheap. I paid $1500 for mine, and had to put another $1200 in to get it up to spec. Lately, I have seen them go anywhere from $2k to almost $5k, but I have seen way less of them coming up for sale. I think they may start going up higher. Parts and service are still easy to find, but I am saving for a spare set of new heads just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the reply.
Wow! $1200 put right back into it?
I might be waiting awhile before I can grip one these puppies up.
I should've gotten one a couple years ago when they were goin' for $600 - $900.
Good luck with yours, I'm jealous!

What a cool machine! Congrats mate.
When is it from and what was it mainly used for when it came out?
Some of the Nagra's been used for military purposes as far as I know.

What a cool machine! Congrats mate.
When is it from and what was it mainly used for when it came out?
Some of the Nagra's been used for military purposes as far as I know.

Not my recorder my friend,...just posted here for some "eye candy".
This is all I can find on the Nagra T:

The Nagra T-Audio

First introduced in 1981, the T-Audio is a two track analogue transportable recorder designed for studio recording. It is designed to be trolley-mounted. With programmable combinations of up to 4 different tape speeds / EQ settings it can be entirely customized to different tape formulations, transport speeds and equalization parameters. Using the Twin-capstan tape transport system developed for the TI it handles master tapes with a delicacy not before seen in a studio recorder.

Initially it was a stereo recorder / player aimed at the disk mastering industry. A monophonic model was also developed. A twin track version with an independent erase head for each track, and was aimed at the radio broadcast industry. In 1984 a full time coded SMPTE / EBU version was introduced and became the industry standard for audio transfers for film applications around the world. The different models, although mechinically very similar, were easily identifiable by the removable control panel or "keyboard" mounted on the front. (The machine in the above picture is equipped with the TACA-TC keyboard). The T-Audio manages rells up to 10.5 inches in diameter and can be equipped with a magnitude of different options and accessories for many different applications.

Different models were:
NTA-2S - Stereo Model
NTA-2M - Monophonic version
NTA-2B - Broadcast Model
NTA-2TC - SMPTE Time code model
NTA-3TCN - Time code without internal chase synchronizer
NTS-3TCS - Time code with internal chase synchronizer
NTA-3TCR - Time code with internal chase synchronizer and RS-422 serial control

The NTA3-TCR was equipped with the TACA-TC-2 keyboard which incorporated many new features including a full time code calculator. The keyboard is connected to the T-Audio transport with a serial interface allowing much more information to be displayed from the time code circuit on the main display. The mechanics of all T-Audio machines are principally the same.

I have not heard the T-Audio, but I'd be willing to bet it's pretty un-colored. It's probably a rock-solid machine that gives back what you put in. Not like an Ampex or something that adds some nice distortion.

I base this on my own Nagra IV-S. I run it at 7.5 ips instead of 15 and hit it a little harder to get more tape character. If you want it as clean as digital, it will do it.

Conservative levels and 15 ips...that's what digital wishes it sounded like.

That is so cool. I have so much respect for guys who still use all analog. Such a warmth to it. If i thought I would know how to use it all in a million years, I'd give it a go! lol.

Back