Check out the New Design

MikeDMusic

Hello everyone,
I think that I may have been able to squeeze a few extra feet out of my parents to build this studio (including provisions to alter it in years to come...you'll see what I mean). I feel like I'm getting closer to my final design so I'm getting excited. Sorry it's kind of cluttered. I've calculated the room modes using the handy dandy "room tune" spreadsheet I found on the forum...it's really useful. Everything looks like it should respond really evenly at all frequency's. I've decided not to float the floor...mainly for my own sanity and for financial reasons. Also because isolation isn't a huge deal for me...our nearest neighbor is a few hundred yards away...they used to have band rehearsals at their house (very loud) I could never hear a thing from my place so. It's pretty much just a really good sounding room that i'm going for so. Have a look...let me know what you think. ENJOY. (sorry I could only do it with an attachment)

Attachments

• studiodesign3.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 103
You'll need a door to get in at the very least. Also, your modes might look ok but that's still a pretty small, boxy live room. If you try and track drums, guitar and bass in there it's going to get saturated in a hurry. You may be better off opening it up and just operating out of a single room; or maybe build a small isolation room for a guitar cabinet or something. Bass trapping will be key--I have a small room (roughly 20 x 17) and I can still build the bass up pretty good. You may also need to treat the ceiling to avoid flutter echo.

you think the single room will give a better over all sound to the recordings?
Alright I'll see if I can work out the measurements and everything. Where would be a good place to put the desk and monitors and everything? The faux wall is just to make the room appear to be attached to the existing block wall without it actually having to be attached by framing...so that you don't see a two inch space between the block and the room. Thanks a lot. Any other suggestions? Maybe where to place the sound booth? How big would the booth need to be? Would it be used for vocals? Acoustic Guitar? Guitar cabs? Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it.

Mike

here you go I adjusted the floorplan. I couldn' fix the cross section view for some reason...Indesign just being dumb I guess. Take a peak.

Attachments

• studiodesign3.pdf
    29 KB · Views: 28

oh yeah and I forgot a door again...it will be on the wall where the monitors are facing. haha. Thanks again.

Back