Check out my "new" tape deck!!!

Carny1122

Plugin Whore
Oh yeah, straight up vintage 4-track Playskool deck. Can't wait to get the reels runnin' on this thing! :p hah!

Crazy what you find when you clean out 30 years of stuff from the attic when you're family is moving. This may be what got me initially started on recording back when I was three! :D

Attachments

• 0606091707[1].jpg
    0606091707[1].jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 119
Does it still work? It would be a lot of fun to record something obscure on that, and put it an ambient passage of a song.

Nice! Is that usb or Firewire? ;)

PCIx - Straight up 64-bit processing in this baby! :p ;)

I'm seriously considering getting a cheap tape, throwing this in the wayyyy back of my drum room, recording drums through it onto the tape, 1/8" or RCA the tape player into my board, play with it a bit, send that into Sonar, then maybe re-amp it for a boost and some more screwing around with. Could be very cool...or just suck! One way to find out :cool:

I'm seriously considering getting a cheap tape, throwing this in the wayyyy back of my drum room, recording drums through it onto the tape, 1/8" or RCA the tape player into my board, play with it a bit, send that into Sonar, then maybe re-amp it for a boost and some more screwing around with. Could be very cool...or just suck! One way to find out :cool:

Man, for the cost of a cassette tape you could have a really cool, original sound potentially. I'd try it in a heartbeat.

Frank

I had one of these as a kid. Didn't the cassettes go along with books and if you pushed the colored buttons it changed the voice of the character reading the book? I remember having some sort of Sesame Street book and the colors corresponded to like Big Bird, Oscar the grouch, grover and maybe cookie monster. I don't remember actually recording anything on it.

... if you pushed the colored buttons it changed the voice of the character reading the book? I remember having some sort of Sesame Street book and the colors corresponded to like Big Bird, Oscar the grouch, grover and maybe cookie monster. I don't remember actually recording anything on it.

Hey, wait a sec. IF that is true, that is FOUR tracks- which suggest that the machine was set up something like a TASCAM 4-track porta-studio, with playback being 4 tracks X 1 pass (not 2 tracks x 2 passes, like the majority of cassette decks.)

Could it be that Fisher-Price built a 4-track machine???

I am almost certain that is what they did but it has been years since I had one.

Hey, wait a sec. IF that is true, that is FOUR tracks- which suggest that the machine was set up something like a TASCAM 4-track porta-studio, with playback being 4 tracks X 1 pass (not 2 tracks x 2 passes, like the majority of cassette decks.)

Could it be that Fisher-Price built a 4-track machine???

I do think that the four colored buttons on the right changed the voices - I think you're right about that (but you had to have the right tape going along with the book). Over on the left though, where there are 5 buttons, the one with three yellow bars says "record," which one can only assume it does what it says! I'll give it a go sometime soon! They may have very well made a 4-track machine! :p

Back