Check out my new song

Hey - I think that sounds really pretty good. Not the sort of thing I'd normally listen to necessarily, but it sounds like you're quite talented and it's a good recording too. The song itself dragged a little for me about 2/3rds through...some of those guitar parts are just relentless you know?

You have a very unique vocal delivery. I was never quite sure where you were going to take each line melodically which is cool.

How was this recorded? It kind of sounded to me (I could be way off) like your voice was a little boxy sounding. Almost as if you captured too much of a not so great room with the mic, or maybe just the wrong part of a good room? I dunno...I had to listen quietly on these little bookshelf speakers so I may not be picking up on some of the detail too well.

Anyway - well done!

The guitar's too busy for four minutes, I think. It sounds like you had a compressor on it going in, too. If you kept the tempo the same, and cut the fingerpicking business in half, it would work better. I'm not slamming you - I'm struggling with this on a tune of mine, too - in my case, it's not the speed of the fingerpicking but the net effect of all the different parts makes for an overall impression of busyness, and the song doesn't doesn't call for busyness. Neither does yours.

Mix: the guitar sounds like it's out in front of the vocal. Don't do that. :)

Ah ok great tips dude.

But i recorded the vocals and guitar at the same time so the reason my vocals sound a bit boxy is because they were bleeding into the guitar mic.

I'll take these tips and see if I can work with it.

Back