Check it out

I listened to "Furry". Nicesong, Zelmo. Rhythm is real well done and well mixed. Vocal sounds good but is a little too far back and could use more dynamics. Harp floats around a little aimlessly. I would lose the talking, which I couldn't understand anyway.

hi,
I listened to TJW, and my biggest complaint would be the vocals. THey sound too removed from the rest of the music, and too covered up.

I would also mess with the reverb settings on the song a bit more.

The song itself is quite interesting though

Zelmo,

I liked both tunes. I thought the vocals were appropriate for the tunes particularly on TJW. I think this was my favorite of the two but I liked the singing in both tunes. Nice blues

Ray J

I like this tune ("Furry"), Zelmo. Its got a nice character to it. Its also really clean sounding to me.

When I switched from listening to it on the monitors to headphones your vocals jumped out more- same thing on my stereo speakers. I agree that the vocals don't really fit into the mix as well as they could. I think that bringing them up a little will help. Mixing a deeper voice like yours can be tough.

The left harp competes with the vocals a lot, too- kinda busy. I really like the right harp. You might try bringing the left harps down a bit.

Also, was the guitar recorded in stereo? If so, it sounds like its really close to the center and doesn't jump out of the speakers. I had to put on my headphones and hit the mono switch a few times to hear the stereo image on the guitar. I'm still not sure if it isn't just a stereo reverb.

I think what I want to hear is a wide(r) stereo guitar (which will help the vocals stand out in the center) with the harps mixed a little lower and a little in from hard panned.

And while I'm totally remixing your tune and taking all of its character away, how 'bout if I add a horn section, 7 backup singers and a drum solo? ;)

I should know better than to try and give feedback right before bed...I'm not going to listen to the other one until I get some sleep. ;)

Take care,
Chris

thanks

Ray, Chris, Cyan, and Slim - thanks for the intelligent comments. I am currently finishing some mixes on some new stuff on the PC. This feedback motivates me. Keep on keepin on.

Back