Cheapest room/stereo condenser??

scott2go

I looked but didn't see,what's the cheapest best sounding room/ condenser for plain ol 2 track recording"cassette"

Im not shy to answer this... I have a stereo-condenser mic that cost me the equivalent of 30$, but lets see, it has no name.. shit. But its cheap! (radioshack style you know)

Why dont you get yourself a minidisk or portable harddiskrecorder if you must record "in the field"?
Let me guess... the money? (damn that things costs money)

analog for me

We tried the digital thing,hired a guy,paid him some denerio,and it sucks,I took a couple shure condensers,hooked em up to my fancy,schmancy marantz cassette recorder and everthing sounds better than the previous version,just want to convert it to mp3 or cd or whatever we have to do.So were gonna try this on our own.Just 3 guys in the garage,trying to put out some more tunes,I'll pay money for mics,i believe these were about $220. ea We just want a live recording,all our gear pa included in 1 room.We arent cheap,We've got gear take a look,http://www.brthesect.com We JUST WANT A LIVE RECORDING,NO tracking,No dubbing,just us as we sound,Im not yelling just wondering why that's so difficult,and why everyone says,well no one does that any more.Were old,old school and yes of course trying to be wise w/ our $$$.as for the minidisc we haven't tried that one yet,how r they to work w/?are they easy to bounce to cd mp3 or.wav??I know it sounds stupid to some but like I said OLD OLD OLD dudes,someone hook us up

Many options!

scott2go,

You have alot options and will find alot of advice here on bbs.
I don't think you need a stereo mic. You need two same mics setup in stereo. The cheapest ones that are "indorsed" :) by this
bbs is ecm8000 and mxl603s. But you can try it with any mic.
You probably have shure 57s You can try couple of those.
Search for stereo recording it might turn up more info on how
to set up the mics. I think in the famous Harvey thread there is something about stereo recording.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27030

cheers

P.S Cool Marshall wall man!!! LOL :p

Set up

rock trio,
guitar,2 double headed marshall full stacks,
Drums,Ludwig,26"bass,14"tom18"&20"floors,
Bass,2 eden world tour 800's&3ampeg cabs 1-8-10,1 1-15-4-10&1-2-15
vocals,all 3,sm58,s
pa 4,2-15w/horn sp7's& 2,1-15 w/hrn 5200wts of pwr.

we played around w/ a couple shure condensers and a deck & got a decent mix,Just asking what the best room mic is for the lowest buck,then we will try to convert the cassette to cd,mp3,.wav or whatever

We are just doing it to put the rest of our tune's on the web,not looking for any record deal,I think were a tad bit too old & not the most attractive fellas out there.So all we have is our tunes. We have a great time playing out when we can,and love to play live so that's the sound we want.I hate it when you hear a band's cd then you pay some bucks to see em and what you hear live doesn't even resemble what had heard on the cd.Any way,those are our recording goals,so we can get another 40 or so of our tune's out there,any pointers??Thanks in advance
here's our web thingy,the audio aint the greatest,thats what we want to fix http://www.brthesect.com

Hey Scott2go.... you are in The Sect.... you post on the Stem31 forums on pluh.com all the time....

Small world. :)

Hey Gawkman,

yeah thats me,you know one of the old dudes,I just found this site yesterday,it's great,good to see a Zonie

I have to agree with Fed.

A couple of the Behringer ecm 8000's placed somewhere around the far right and left-hand sides of your stage/garage would work probably work nicely, as would a pair of Marshall mxl 603's. The ecm's you could probably just throw up and not worry about it, whereas the 603's you'd have to be a little bit more particular about their placement and where you're pointing them.

Good luck.

just a thought

scott2go,

You sad you will want to convert to mp3 or whatever.
If you plan on doing it your self then you will need a computer with a good soundcard. Since you don't need multiple inputs
something like Maudio Audiophile will do.

But if you get the nice card for a computer you might want to actualy record on the computer rather then on the tape deck.

Just a though and if you not going to convert to digital yourself then disregard this.

man thouse are cool marshall stacks, how is you hearing? :D

No reason,i think they sound great,but what do I know,I just wanted to see if there was a little better mic for not a lot of more $$$ as for now were gonna try the shure's,as far as sound card I'm gonna check,We've got a computer that burns cd's so I think were on the right track,thanks again

I might suggest a pair of AKGC1000s. YOu can get them for about $150 a piece. They're not the best, but for what you're looking to do, and within your budget, it will work just fine.

Far more important than the mics you choose in a scenario like this is that you get your sound totally balanced. Looking at the amps you have, I can easily see it being extremely loud, and the resulting mix being light on drums. I would spend a day or two just playing and recording and adjusting levels. You might now need the full stacks, and you can definitely trim on the bass cabs. But the most important thing for you is going to be getting a good balance before you hit record.

I can hear from your demos (I listened to gypsy queen and hollywood & vine) that the kick drum is almiost completely absent and in general the drums are pretty low and washed out in the mix. The bass guitar is basically taking all the space where the kick drum should be. The snare drum sounds like it's made of paper, which is another way of saying everything else (especially the guitar) is totally overpowering it. The vocals are very loud and clear, which is nice, but also means they're out of balance with the mix. I would basically turn everything down, those drums need to be more on top of the mix.

Scott -

I'd check out www.soundprofessionals.com
They're experts in field recording, usually using minidisk recorders. I have their simplest T-style stereo mic, and it's great for field work, if you're not playing stuff that's too loud. If you are, you should consider their battery module.

Check them out! A few nice articles there too!

Oren

Back