Cheaper Vocal Condenser Mic($100-200)

Which VOCAL Condenser?

• Total voters

JPXTom

Just seeking some more opinions on mics...this time its condensers, and once again you can put in any input...i have been favoring the mxl 960, but hey..why not throw some others on the try out table?

I use my AKG Perception 200 for everything except distorted guitar cabs. It always sounds a bit thin compared to even an SM57. However, for vocals and acoustic guitar this is a really good mic. Fairly quiet, has a low cut switch that works really well to clean up muddy tracks. It also has a switchable -10db pad on ti if you mic a really loud source.

In that price range, an AT-4054 or 4055. Alternatively a used AKG C535eb. If you like the sound, you can also find used AT-4033s for that price as well.

I prefer vocal sound with fat body and smooth, not harshing and excessive heights. Therefore I do not like the mikes like Rode NT1a and Studio Projects C1 and recommend you MXL V67 and Oktava Mk319.
If you prefer more opened and bright sound for vocals look at SE Electronics 2200.

My CAD M9 does well for some types of voices. My ADK Generis also is interesting, giving my voice almost a husky, smoky sound (which my voice doesn't have). Works well for low, slow jazz recordings. I sometimes use ribbons for vocals for variety. If I'm doing backing vocals, I want a thinner tone, so I'd be more likely to use a SDC from a few feet back.

What kind of voice are you looking for a mic for, what style of music, for lead or backing, etc.? A question like "What's the best vocal mic from $x to $x+k isn't really even a useful question without more context.

ive have the v67 and the 3035 in front of me

the v67 is not too bad, check another thread for a voice sample on that.

i dont particuley like the 3035 but its not a bad mic.

the 960 is Smooth and what would be the ebst mic in that list. its got great reviews. id seriously concider that one. It compares to or is better than an mxl v69 which costs $300. its not too bright. more to the dark side and if anything like the v69 will be colored slightly. but its transformerless so it might not be. someone will have to clarify that.
id go for the 960 and then later on swap the tube. will be the ebst your money can get you in your price range. its $150 on music123.com i think.

When I first got a st55 I thought it sounded much nicer than my MK319 before it got modified. Of course since I sent the MK319 to Mr jolly, that st55 collects alot of dust.

I'll throw out another vote for the V67g. I got one for free with a gear purchase, and was VERY pleasantly surprised by how nice it sounded.

Similarly, I picked up a CAD GXL3000 mongo cheap recently, and was tickled with it. Not a bad sound... though a bit on the clean/bright side perhaps. Sure have had fun playing with the polar patterns.

To be honest, however, I have an MXL 960 (and a Mullard 12AT7 replacement tube) on the way. Really looking forward to giving this mic a whirl.

My vote would be the AT3035. It's a warm sounding mic without the hyped top end and solid Japanese construction, which is unusual for mics at that price point. The AT line has always been my first choice for budget LDCs.

I'll throw out another vote for the V67g. I got one for free with a gear purchase, and was VERY pleasantly surprised by how nice it sounded.

Similarly, I picked up a CAD GXL3000 mongo cheap recently, and was tickled with it. Not a bad sound... though a bit on the clean/bright side perhaps. Sure have had fun playing with the polar patterns.

To be honest, however, I have an MXL 960 (and a Mullard 12AT7 replacement tube) on the way. Really looking forward to giving this mic a whirl.

mine arrives today but i wont know how it sounds until the weekend, but anyway please drop a review, especially if you are doing hip hop music, id like to hear something.

Another plus for the V67G. The 3035 isn't too bad but between those 2 that I have, I reach for the 67 for vox.

Nice to hear! It look like I won't get mine for another week or two, at least. I'm a blues guy, rather than a hiphop guy, but I'll try and post a clip for you all the same.

Mxl 960

i personally love the MXL stuff i find its well priced and durable. if you can find one for that price the MXL V69 is a great vocal mic it has a tube so it gives you that extra smooth sound. how ever a good pre-amp will be able to add a little where any not super expensive mix cant go.

Well i know these mics are VERY HARD to find but give it a try. OKATAVAS!

I recently found some Okatavas MC 012 01(NOT THE CHINESE FAKES!!!) But some OG's on craiglist for 130$ for the pair.

There F*cking SWEET! Recorded my acoustic and They sound CLEAN!

Back