Cheaper SM57 type mic?

An SM57 is one of those incredible values and it's an industry standard. You'll walk into world class recording facilities and they'll be using SM57 mics. But, you're not going to find most of the inexpensive gear we talk about on this forum.

My only complaint about an SM57 is that it needs a damn fine mic preamp to make it shine.

--Steve
www.piemusic.com

jeff-

now that i read my post i disagree with myself. i wrote it sort of in a fit. i now think the most important link in the recording chain is a good musician. even if you record a great musician half-assed they will still sound pretty good. but i think i pretty much hit the nail on the head with my last sentence "the common thread you will find were great mics, great rooms, great musicians and good mic placement." i've made pretty good recordings in shitty rooms. you just have to kill the reverb and close mic. stay away from walls, which is where bass buildup occurs. one of the biggest mistakes that people make who are new to mic placement is lack of knowledge about polar patterns and how to use them to avoid leakage. phasing is a extremely common condition in amateur recordings. also dynamic mics are actually a good choice for smaller rooms because they are less sensitive and therefore susceptible to leakage. i also find in room with wood floors that shockmounts are of upmost importance.

Hmm...
And all this time I thought The Edge sucked with that 1 riff library he grips on to for dear life.
May be the other guys make up for it, thus the good sound.

Hey, I'm in the same situation as being short on cash.
Christmas got me some cheap condensors and I'm liking them any way. mc-012. I don't know the limitations I will encounter. I need some 57's in a bad way but can't afford it now.
Take sometime , get 2 play around with them and save for 3&4 , People above gave some other , I'm sure great options for buying cheaper though some what compatable but it may pay off to go with tried and true and wait because the price is'nt that far off.

Shure Unidyne III = SM57

A Unidyne III is the older version of the SM57; look for it on ebay. The most common is the Shure 545, and it comes in many different permutations. I got two of these with attached cords (made to fit in a gooseneck on a podium, I guess) for less than $40 including postage. Great for recording drums or guitar amps in the studio. Get the exact model number, then check the shure website for discontinued models -- everything you need to know to buy used shure mics is there for you -- www.shure.com. Make sure that it is low impedence with XLR connector.

Look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15198&item=931895917&rd=1

Last edited:
PG 57?

Hmmm... if you were looking at at cheaper model of the sm 57 , i think the first mic to check out would be the proformance gear 57.

I own a pg 58 and it isn't bad.
It's not good, on the other hand....

Back