Cheap USB interface w/ Midi?

Seafroggys

With my home studio at my parents' house, and the fact I moved out two years ago, I have to make the 20 minute drive if I want to record stuff. Which is fine, but sometimes I just want to lay down some basic demo stuff and the drive ain't really worth it for that.

I have a Zoom H4n, but I never got it to work as an interface. And I want something that has Midi i/o. So what are the best cheap options? I'd only be recording 1 track at a time. This will also be on my primary PC, which is geared for gaming, so it won't be a dedicated studio computer like I have in my studio. I'll go new, used, whatever is in my area. Maybe a short list that I can bring to the local stores to see what they carry? Thank you for recommendations!

With my home studio at my parents' house, and the fact I moved out two years ago, I have to make the 20 minute drive if I want to record stuff. Which is fine, but sometimes I just want to lay down some basic demo stuff and the drive ain't really worth it for that.

I have a Zoom H4n, but I never got it to work as an interface. And I want something that has Midi i/o. So what are the best cheap options? I'd only be recording 1 track at a time. This will also be on my primary PC, which is geared for gaming, so it won't be a dedicated studio computer like I have in my studio. I'll go new, used, whatever is in my area. Maybe a short list that I can bring to the local stores to see what they carry? Thank you for recommendations!

You really have a lot of options here, Focusrite, Presonus, Tascam. I think the biggest issue you will have will be the pre's. I use a Presonus USB, it is a capable interface, has MIDI In/Out, phantom and XLR/balance/unbalanced and a nice metal case for traveling.

CHeaper, the better.

I saw a Presonus Audiobox on craigslist for $90, that a good one? My main recording rig uses the Firestudio, so I am already partial to Presonus anyway. It looks pretty capable.

There are two models that they have, the USB and then the 22VSL. The VSL is the higher of the two (looks the same), but from what I can gather it has a faster AD/DA converter. The USB version would do most of what you need (that is the version I have). For 90 bucks, it would be worth it.

Really cheap finds are the Fast track pro and the Tascams, 122 and 144. I paid £60 for a 144mk 1 and the Cubase LE4 was untouched!

These older interfaces tend to have low gain mic amps but for guitar cabs or rock screams they are fine with a dynamic, if you have a capacitor, no worries.

A nice AI was the Emu 0404usb but I think it has issues with W7/8?

Dave.

Back