cheap SDC pair: MXL 603 or MXL 993 ?

cashcohen

Jewnior Member
I want to use two small-diaphragm condensers to record my acoustic guitar, as I've been told this is a solid way to go. I'm on a tight budget, and I've never done this before, so I'm not trying to break the bank. ;)

I had my heart set on a pair of MXL 993s, but after reading Harvey Gerst's wonderful thread on sub-$100 mics (https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=302579), I've been introduced to a new option, MXL 603s. And they're cheaper!

Should I get a pair of 993s (~$180) or a pair of 603s (~$130)? I'm tempted to go for the cheaper option here, since people in that aforementioned thread spoke highly of the 603. Hmmm...

Thanks in advance.

Oh God, right after I posted this, I read the stickied thread on mic recommendations.

Forgive me, Lord, for I have sinned...

I've got both (in pairs)--don't ask me why. Apparently I'm a slut for cheap gear. :confused:

I definitely prefer the 603s. They compare quite nicely to my more expensive (albeit still mid-level) Rode NT5s. The 993s have a harshness on the high end that is pleasantly missing from the 603s to my ears.

Is it the 603s or the 604s with the swappable caps? I think the 604s, but I don't really remember. If so, get the 604s, because one day you'll get the omni caps, and you'll thank me :drunk:

The 604 comes with cardioid & omni caps; the omni caps for the 603 are an option (~$50).

Paj
8^)

Cool, thanks, guys! I'm going for the 603s (they are $75 less than the 604s). If I find I need omnidirectional recording, I'll buy the caps separately.

Buy the 603s then, but don't wait until you feel the need for omnis, budget for them in the future. Omni is less about "I want to record everything around me" (although maybe you do), it's more about "I want what's in front of me to sound the way it is." Read Harvey's big thread for complete details, but basically cardioids have variable low-frequency response according to distance, and they often have a couple few peaks in the presence range. Those can be good or bad features, depending on your recording situation, but with the omni caps, you'll always have options.

You won't know what you are missing until you try . . .

Buy the 603s then, but don't wait until you feel the need for omnis, budget for them in the future. Omni is less about "I want to record everything around me" (although maybe you do), it's more about "I want what's in front of me to sound the way it is." Read Harvey's big thread for complete details, but basically cardioids have variable low-frequency response according to distance, and they often have a couple few peaks in the presence range. Those can be good or bad features, depending on your recording situation, but with the omni caps, you'll always have options.

You won't know what you are missing until you try . . .

I'm reading through the big thread right now....this is tricky stuff, but I'll keep at it! I'll buy the omni capsules as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice. :)

Back