Cheap rack rails in Australia?

Ritzy

Registered (Ab)User
Hi folks,
Does anyone know of a cheap source for rack rails in Australia? Preferably, I'm after the type that doesn't require cage nuts (screw goes straight into rack rail) and in 6U lengths, but I'm pretty flexible. Basically, the same thing as THESE, but located in Australia.
If anyone knows a source, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

I've bought some parts from these guys before

http://www.mrack.com.au

not rails, but they deal with stuff to do with production desks. How come you don't want to buy the rails overseas? shipping would be pretty low as the items would be small/reasonably light

I used to make my own but decided a long time ago to just buy the std type (caged nuts, etc), it's quicker and saved me a lot of time and messing around.

:cool:

Sorry about the late follow up to this thread; unfortunately have had some unexpected time away from this forum...

Thanks all for your replies!

The purpose of the rails is to build one of those Ikea "Rast" rack units (it's a bedside table Ikea sells for under $20 that fits six rack units perfectly. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjw333/29627416).
I don't have any problems buying them from overseas. I just figured that the same thing should be available here somewhere, thus saving me from paying US$20-30 on postage (I'm still at uni and am therefore a tight-arse).

Thanks again!

Wow, your timing impeccable Ritzy! ;)

I was going back and forth in my head wondering if I should make the trip out to Ikea tomorrow and see if they have a couple of those tables in stock locally. Guess my mind's made up now. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll have some decent racks built.:p

....now if I could only figure out how to hook up this patchbay in the most logical way! :o

Bought two of those "rast" tables today, stacked them using 12U rails angled at the front for bracing and a couple of strips of timber at the back. A very easy way of slinging together some racks! Only used one pair of the top and bottom pieces supplied for the tables.....and all for under $40.

I should have bought all four tables that were left as the seem to be a hot seller but since you guys were talking about it I figured best not be selfish in case you hadn't been and got yours yet ;)

Nice! ;)

It's amazing, the fit for six rack units is so spot-on perfect, the designer at Ikea who was responsible for creating this thing must have been a musician/audio-gear-buff with his own little agenda. :p

Nice! ;)

It's amazing, the fit for six rack units is so spot-on perfect, the designer at Ikea who was responsible for creating this thing must have been a musician/audio-gear-buff with his own little agenda. :p

:cool:

:p I think I'm going to head back there this w/end and grab a couple more since I have two more 12U rails and some stuff still sitting around.

....plus I'm getting ready for the pre GB, plus plus I'm looking at either a UA 6176 or UA LA-610 to buy as my first "good" pre!

Back