Cheap Phantom Power Supply?

edwardiii

I was saving up $$ to get a decent compressor when I happened upon a good deal on an MXL 990. So I caved and picked it up.

Problem - I didn't realize my 4 track lacks phantom power (duh). So now I've got a condenser mic I can't use.

At some point I'll pick up a compressor that might have phantom power (if I get an RNC I'm out of luck). Before that happens, are there any < $20 phantom power supply options?

ART has a couple fairly cheap phantom power supplies. Less than $20? I don't think so, but very close.

Compressor don't have phantom power supplies. Mic Preamps have phantom power supplies. Sometime a mic pre and a compressor will be combined into one piece of gear. But it's the mic preamp that has the phantom.

Thanks, Eric. Yeah, I've been looking at a combined mic pre/comp, the RNC is the only stand-alone compressor I've been looking at.

Phantom power supplies all seem to be around $40. At that price I might be better off getting a cheap Behringer or ART pre. At least I'd get something besides just a power supply.

Hey, that's interesting stuff. Unfortunately my electronic skills are not even minimal - no soldering gun or loose wire hanging around the place. But it's good to have a recipe for a phantom power supply just in case I ever have to make like MacGyver...

Rolls makes the Phantom Hex +48v supply that is rack mounted. I bought one on the cheap from eBay, and it is a nice rig. Provides lots of current for (6) channels. The phantom is global, i.e. one switch controls on/off to all six channels.

you could always get a mic like my audio-technica which allows you to use a doubleA battery to provide the power.

I dont use the battery, since I have a phantom powered audio interface. but it is nice to know I can still use my mic if I am in a situation where I dont have this thing.

FatesWebb

Back