Cheap = noisy ?

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Joe Meek VC1Q, which is the preamp/compressor/EQ/enhancer all in one box. Sounds good, but it's too noisy, espcially on the make up gain output. Anything past 1 o'clock is pretty much unusuable. Do I have a dud, or should I expect certain corners to be cut since it's a budget box? (bought it used, but still, it's $600 new)

From my limited experience, I've noticed that the high end equipment may not necessarily sound better, but it's definitely quieter, which is also important.

Any thoughts?

The noise floor shouldn't be SO bad that you hear it as obviously as you do.... are you using a decent mic? Did you accidently engage a pad either on your mic or on the Meek (or both), and you're adding unnecessary gain to compensate??

Bruce

Actually, the most noise is from a bass guitar direct into the instrument input (the bass guitar has a little self noise, but going direct into a focusrite is really quiet). I've got the mic gain set at 50%, and the EQ set at a mid cut around 1k, and I even cut the high down a couple of DB. No enhancer, or any pads, reverse swithes, etc. The compressor is set for strong compression, but when I switch it out, the unit's overall noise is still apparent.

I can't set the ouput gain past 1 oclock with out it being to noisy.....

If the unit exhibits the same noise floor without any source connected, that would appear to show a problem - especially if another (different) unit is connected in the same way and doesn't show the same noise level. You could take it back and exchange it for another and see if that one does the same thing - if so, then replace it with something else. I use a Presonus VXP pre/comp/de-esser/EQ/filter and I've not had ANY noise problems - mind you, it's a bit more expensive than the Meek.

Good luck,
Bruce

Does your bass have active pickups?

Is the bass knob volume open all the way? (or most of the way)

How does the meek sound with out any thing pluged into it?

Your pre is going straight to a monitor? or through anything else?.

I've eliminated any inputs to the VC1Q, and still, the noise from the makeup gain output. Oh well, I spent $300 for it used, and it's in mint condition. I got it at Zzounds.com, on their used gear page. Not returnable, but perhaps I could go to audioupgrades.com and get a once over/part upgrade to reduce the noise. It would be worth $100 to 150 to get it done, because it's a good sounding unit.

Anyone know of other companies that do upgrades?

Back