Cheap, nice sounding overhead for drums

WarmJetGuitar

Hey there!

I'm looking for a very cheap but nice sounding overhead mic for drums. So far we'd been using a matched pair of GA Projects and recently a Røde M3. Like the sound of both, especially the Røde M3. But it's borrowed from a friend and I'm wondering what other mics in the same range might suit our needs.
It's in a simple setup with a AKG D-112 on the bass drum, a cheap Sennheiser or 57 on the snare and a Beyer Dynamics XM-D 58 on the floor tom. It needs to have a nice low end and be able to deal with leakage from loud guitars.

Soundwise we're mostly like a mix of old psychedelia and shoegaze. It's an all-analog setup and at some point we might get a fancier mic for overhead which means that the cheap overhead would probably be moved to the snare drum. It points to the Røde M3 but any other advice?

How do you for instance like the cheap tube mics from T-Bone for these things?

Don't laugh but a pair of MXL990s can actually sound okay and there are often deals done for the set of two. The 990 can be a bit flat on many things but that can be an advantage getting overheads to sit in a mix.

The Silver Bullets are cheap but when you factor in the price of Bob Seger...

(I'll get my coat...)

what about the behringer C2 matched pair. maybe they will be good enough.

D'you know! I might just take a punt on a pair of those! The sensitivity is a dB or so down on my P150s but the noise is a dB better so nowt in it and for 45quid for a matched pair got to be worth a do?

Dave.

I had a play with the C2s a few years back--amazing value for money. Obviously not in the same league as things costing 10 or 20 times as much but they certainly punch above their weight.

Just to be honest though, drum overheads was one thing I didn't try them on so I'm only guessing that they might be good at that.

CAD M179's get a lot of love around here. They are variable pattern which makes them very versatile. Not only could they work as overheads but also on toms, room, kick, and more!

Ended up with an Octava MK-319. It's nice and dark sounding, picking up the ambience really well and doesn't have the horrible "presence peak" aka. harshness of many other cheap mics.

Might get another one soon. And some silver bullets. Oh the GAS...

Back