cheap monitors

peter miller

i'm in australia and most things that are not popular around the states sell pretty good here ,mainly because things get very expensive.
I'm lookin at some of these all under $1000 ($500 US)

behringer Truth
Samson
Tannoy Reveal
Phonic
Spirit Absolute

yorkville are about $1200 and a bit over my budget

Anyone own the above or heard reports on them...

this is the order i'd choose from, and i've used all thrse monitors but the spirit's..

Tannoy Reveal
behringer Truth
Phonic P8, Samson Resolv 80a

i've never heard or used the spirit's.
i can't believe the yorkville's cost so much out there

hmmm behringer get second,
the tannoy's i looked at were actually passive.doh!
the active were about $1400 duble Doh!
I'm dissapointed that the yorkvilles are a bit dear as i've heard nothing but good reprts on them.

I did se a roland pair for around $1000
they look good but i ain't heard them

the truths are nice.. you just have to do a few mixes on them or listen to some of your fav cd's and get use to them.. it depends on your room too..
most find find them a little bright so set them to -2.. and your set... i've had cleaner mixes with the truths over v88's and other monitors that cost 2x as much.. most ppl down them just cuz their behringer.. but its all about your ears...

i might go the behringers.
A friend of mine who owns a studio reckons the behringer truths are fine..
Every shop i speak to seems to like em

:cool:

peter miller said:
i might go the behringers.
A friend of mine who owns a studio reckons the behringer truths are fine..
Every shop i speak to seems to like em
That last line should read: Every shop i speak to seems to like to sell them...

Behringer and studio are two words not to be used in one sentence (unless when accompanied by the words:"to avoid" and "not" ;) )

What about Events ? M-audios ? I guess these are a step up from the Behringers..

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
That last line should read: Every shop i speak to seems to like to sell them...

Behringer and studio are two words not to be used in one sentence (unless when accompanied by the words:"to avoid" and "not" ;) )

What about Events ? M-audios ? I guess these are a step up from the Behringers..

Herwig
That's funny.... that's what I was thinking...

:D

the best cheap monitors are going to be a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones. You won't outgrow them, and you can mix on them until you can save up for a pair of monitors you won't regret within a year.

----------caution, controversial statement about to appear-----

or go on ebay, and pick up a used pair of Yamaha NS-10's and a power amp... hard to beat an industry standard.

-mg

BUZZ, wrong!

Stay away from headphones, you can't mix properly on headphones.

you'd be way better of with NS10's than headphones. You'd be better off with computer speakers than headphones. They're ok for checking mixes, which you have done on monitoring speakers. but not for mixing.

would you rather mix on shitty monitors, or on decent headphones?

I'd vote headphones. Of course, you're going to need to check your mixes many places with either option, but I'd rather have good frequency response to start, and work from there.

-mg

I believe that shitty monitors would be better for mixing any day than headphones. As far as i know... Correct me if i'm wrong please! Sorry i don't mean to sound like a prick.

Well, the way I see it, if you've only got $100-200 to spend on a set of monitors, I'd stick with a set of consumer stereo speakers, and a nice set of headphones:

Headphones would be used to check frequency (since they're bound to be more level than a cheap set of "studio monitors"). You'll need to learn to compensate for the headphones' lack of certain frequencies (esp. deep bass), but in the long run, you've still got a nice set of headphones that you'll never regret buying.

Consumer stereo speakers would be used for checking some things like L/R balance, mix depth, etc., and as a check for overall balance, but not for critical level listening.

This way, you're checking your mix on multiple sources, and not blowing money on cheap monitors that you're going to hate when you find out that your mixes don't translate at all. At $100-200 price range, it's going to be hard to get your mixes to translate in general, regardless of what you buy. I'd just recommend buying gear that you won't want to replace within a year or so. Hence, the good headphones.

-mg

I own a pair of md7506's and i don't like mixing with them.
NS10's were just stereo speakers that made it into the studio one day . That is a fact ,so in saying that why could i not buy a descent set of stereo speakers?.
I often think of that

;)

NS10's was a fluke......

and yes you could buy a decent set of stereo speakers but you could probably get a decent proven nearfield monitor for less.....

but to play devils advocated on myself, ive heard a few times of people using a certain Radio Shack speaker as monitors...the Optimus something i think?....

Gidge said:
using a certain Radio Shack speaker as monitors...the Optimus something i think?....
You're right.
Mixing = balancing a piece of music so that it will sound more or less the same on any speaker system.
Crappy mono 2" speakers are a part of 'any speaker system'.

Most studios keep a set of main speakers, two sets of nearfields and a boombox and/or mono radio speaker for referencing.

Herwig

Back