Cheap Monitors

Mach5

So I am looking for a pair of inexpensive monitors that could be purchased at a Guitar Center. I am traveling on the road a lot and want a smaller pair of monitors to set up in hotel rooms.

Price range maybe somewhere around $300-350 for a pair...

not too terribly concerned with weight or dimensions.. i have room for them to travel. just something a little smaller than your average sized monitors.

the average set of home studio monitors has either a 6.5" or 8" woofer and are'nt terribly large to begin with. the smaller you go, the more you compromise. although, a few people here have raved over the blue sky media desk system which is two small satellites and a sub. i think that's over budget though. i would look for an active set so you don't have to tote around an amp too. i would also look into a case for them. budget priced speaker cabinets are usually made of mdf and it's not exactly road worthy. i'm not going to make any specific recommendations because i've only owned a few sets of monitors. they all have their weaknesses and strengths.

Mach5 said:
So I am looking for a pair of inexpensive monitors that could be purchased at a Guitar Center. I am traveling on the road a lot and want a smaller pair of monitors to set up in hotel rooms.

Price range maybe somewhere around $300-350 for a pair...

Blue Sky Media Desk

AVANTONE.

I recently built a sort-of monitor boom-box for field mixing with the laptop. Optionally battery powered. Its a 20" wide wooden frame with a metal handle that houses a pair of Minimus 7's(bolted in) and is powered by a Sonic Impact T-Amp(velcroed down between). The whole thing comes apart so you can spead the speakers or control the volume remotely at the amp. Louder than you can use in a hotel room and less than $75 total in parts.

Esi N-ear 04

Hi

had a listen to the ESI Near 04's just out of couriosity yesterday and they really are quite good. They have a small 4" cone but the bass response was quite good.
If you need to set up in a hotel room then these are perfect.

I have bought the esi n-ear 05's for my studio (which is small) and they are brilliant (for the price) and have more than enough volume for post master playback.

Hope this helps
Clint

clinton said:
Hi

had a listen to the ESI Near 04's just out of couriosity yesterday and they really are quite good. They have a small 4" cone but the bass response was quite good.
If you need to set up in a hotel room then these are perfect.

I have bought the esi n-ear 05's for my studio (which is small) and they are brilliant (for the price) and have more than enough volume for post master playback.

Hope this helps
Clint
For what I hear, they are rebranded M-Audio BX5s, which are pretty nice for their size and price range...

I don´t know a 5" woofer monitor with enough defined bass frequencies (below 100 hz) to help you on decisions about (at least) bass/bass drum frequencies.

6.5" works better on small rooms, no?

I know it's blasphemous, but I recorded a bunch of rumbles last summer in the hotel using headphones.

If you need something to travel with (smaller than the norm) then you have to compromise on size/bass freuqency. I was in a situation where I travelled a lot and what I did was track in hotels with a pair of headphones and then wait till I got home where I could mix with my proper monitors (dont know if this is a situation u can do). If I had to do it again I would proberly get 4" monitors as I think any size monitor is better to mix with than headphones.
Also... 6" monitors are quite large and are loud....not travel or hotel friendly.

There is always a compromise with monitors...price...size...make....I suggest u go and take a listen to some 4" monitors or 5" monitors or even headphone monitors and test for yourself which one would suite you best. You may be suprised at the quality of smaller monitors these days.

sigh... what I would give for a pair of "Events"...

Back