cheap mixers?

zer0sig

headpiece full of straw
right now, i'm doing recording with a pair of audix om3xb's, and using impedence matching adapters to run them through the only piece of equipment i have that's not fried that i can use as mic preamps-an old fostex 250 4-track. now, i'm recording onto a soundblaster live, so tape dynamics don't come into play here (and if they do, i'd probably just grab one of my nakamichi decks (or both if i fix one) and bus it out. in any case, i noticed that musician's friend has an apparently obscene price on the behringer mx602a mixer. i don't need any features that aren't on that mixer currently, and only record in stereo right now-besides, at that price, i could buy another to record a couple more tracks. my question is this-what do you guys think of their mixer circuitry? the 602a claims to use the same circuitry as the mx9000's, which i understand to be fine mixers. i currently have to play some tricks on dynamics to even eek out ~broadcast quality recordings (i think i actually get ~35-40db native dynamic range using what i'm using now), and i was hoping that this mixer might eek out at least another 10-20 db in comparison with a 10-15 year old 4track (not to mention that having to run balanced xlr mic cable into unbalanced TS makes me want to cry ;). so, what do you guys think on the mixers, or any other CHEAP alternatives? i was going to get an art dual mp, since they're reasonably cheap and seem to get decent overall reviews, but art, under their new owner (yorkville?), doesn't seem to care much for my business right now. :( do give me input on this, please, as i'd sure love to hear some opinions, especially from people who have actually had to deal with problems like mine.

Call 8th street and BPM and see if they have a used ART in stock... It happens.
I got mine used for $30 less then I would have paid... 8th street was out of stock of ART's when I tried to place my order... But they had a used one that they gave me a deal on and it was barely used... Like new.
Try to buy used... Sometimes the salesman doesnt bother to try to sell you a used version of the item you want... ASK... It dont hurt to ASK...

zer0sig,

I had the same dilemma, and initially went with the MX602A from Musician's Friend (about 6 months ago). I'll rave about it until the cows come home, even if nobody believes me. Simply put, the thing sounds great (it was used exclusively on the song "Say a Prayer" at http://mp3.com/37point5). If you check the specs, it actually has less noise than the bigger Behringers, I guess 'cause there's less power and circuitry to make more noise. Anyway, the preamps are clean and quiet, and sound amazing for the price.

Then, a few months ago, I got the Delta 66 because I wanted to record live drums. 4 inputs; I needed 2 more channels. So, I got 2 ART Tube MPs, and they seem pretty good, too. I haven't tried them yet on vocals, so I'm not too sure how much better they are than the Behringer, but they're certainly more flexible gain-wise, and certainly not any worse in any other area.

Either way, they're both great units. Maybe you should just do what I did: buy the Behringer and if you don't like it or need more channels just buy some MPs and continue to use the Behringer for less dynamic instruments or ones with smaller frequency ranges (like mic'ed electric guitars).

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

I downloaded "Say a Prayer" and just wanted to say the song kicked ass. I really liked the first guitar solo, it was slick. Got kind of Bon Jovi sound to it. Good job.

Peace, Jim

Back