Cheap Mixer(not as general a question as you may think!)

2lim

I rarely ask questions on here, because I normally find what I need in other posts, and I am for the most part happy with what y recording sounds like.

I have come across a problem recently involving routing things in and out of my interface(delta 66). I would like a mixer that will allow me some more options. My situation currently has my monitors plugged directly into my interface(Edirol powered mons). Then I have a CD player plugged into my small mixer(UB802a) via the tape in RCAs. I then have one set of outs goin to my TAPCO power amp, which powers a couple of PA speakers if I ever need antyhign loud/when the band practices we use it for vocals.

My problems come in when I want to review a CD through my monitors, I have to unplug my monitors, and plug them into the mixer outs.

Now you may ask why i dont keep the in the mixer, and y problem is that as far as routing goes, I can't have the outs of my soundcard running into my mixer, then out to the monitors, and still send a separate track into the card if I am recording while monitoring other tracks.

I COULD use a patchbay for a lot of my crap, but I would like a mixer that can do a lot of the routing for me, and in some cases act as a preamp. I am also planning to possibly add another delta box to my setup, so a bigger mixer would be nice.

Just looking to see if anyone has any "unique" suggestions. I know something like a 1604vlz or a small yamaha, or some may say a bigger behri. I wanna know if anyone has found some lesser known "gems" in the same price range as say a medium sized mackie setup?

Simon

Wow that is a lot to just ask for suggestions about a sall mixer with a couple of subgroups!

2lim said:
Just looking to see if anyone has any "unique" suggestions. I know something like a 1604vlz or a small yamaha, or some may say a bigger behri. I wanna know if anyone has found some lesser known "gems" in the same price range as say a medium sized mackie setup?

There aren't too many options in that price range except for the usual suspects.

Thanks man. Just testing to see what is out there.

Are any of the lower level soundcraft products any good? they seem to have the routing capabilities and some other features that I am interested, I just wanna know if the line level channels will colour my sound too much. The pre's are kind of an added bonus if they are useable(hell I am using behringer IMP's right now) but the ain focus is to move my sound around without changing it too much.

Simon

You mentioned Soundcraft, and their M- series are right up there with Allen + Heath and Yamaha and well above the competing Mackie.

Here's a LINK to one that might be just the thing...

I don't know if this will work for you but if you were to get a couple of Y's coming out of your mixer and run to the power amp for practice and the monitors for recording. Then you simpley turn off you monitors and turn on your power amp when it's practice time and visa for mixing and listening to cd's.

I have multiple outs on my board so no Y cord is required. But it works for me.
Just turn on the speaker system you want to use.

Just my thought.

F.S.

i'm actually trying to sell a soundcraft live8 mixer. its got 8 xlr and a few stereo inputs, i think 4 busses. i really just don't need it. i don't know how much you're looking to spend though, i was hoping to get about $250 for it.

Okay anything I see for LIve 8 and osundcraft is f'in massive, so can you link me to some info or a nice pic of the top and back of the mixer?

Simon

Back