Cheap FX

Yes, they will sound better. But keep the Nanoverb, it's always helpful to have more than one reverb. You could use the Nanoverb as your secondary reverb.

Good point - A fine point. Mighty fine.

Personally, I have quite a bit more gear that I DON'T use than gear that I DO use on a regular basis - But once in a while... When you need that special somethin' - In this case, an additional reverb for the snare or the vox, you'll have it.

John -

Yes, either one will sound better. I personally prefer the M300 for at least 3 reasons:
1. Digital out, which means it can be used as a standalone A-D convertor
2. balanced analog outs
3. M-300's owner's manual is waaay easier to understand. Just do what I did, Go to GC, and make them open both boxes, and hand you the manuals. Then read them, and think about it.

Here is one caveat, though. The Lexicon and TC Electronics reverbs simply have a signature sound, and it is there, even in the cheap units. If you just prefer the Lexicon sound, all of the above will make no difference.
On the commercial project I just finished, very little FX of any kind was used in tracking, basically just electric guitar. Everything else was tracked dry, and FX added in mixing and mastering. But what FX we did use in tracking was all done with one M300, and the results were excellent. A number of tracks were run through the M300 just for A-D conversion, with all effects bypassed, and then into a Roland VS1824CD, because the M300's A-D conversion is superior to the Roland's! For $200, what's not to like?-Richie

Thanks for the help, guys. I was planning on keeping the nano anyway, to use in my guitar rig or whatever. I actually rented it to a theatre one time, so it's mostly paid for itself. :D

I just got a new mic, so I need to let the wife go shopping again before I go for a better reverb, but at least I know there is hope for less than $700.

i would hate to lead you astray, but i think you might also want a little rack spring for some extra texture and of course an echo chamber set-up (which is to say a nice little powered speaker, a mic and some cable).

even if the spring reverb is noisy and boinggy, and the echo chamber is not perfect- when you layer mechanical or actual reverbs- a lower cost digital reverb can gain some richness that it normally lacks.

specifically in the decay area of the reverb.

when i had an m300 i used to split the send and give a real low level signal to a spring reverb (to prevent boinging) then mix the spring in really quietly with the m300. almost subliminal, but when you took away the spring, the m300 sounded a bunch more artificial.

just an idea.

also, spring reverbs and echo chambers are just fun to have around in general.

Back