Cheap Drum mics

VTgreen81

like CAD or samson....................are they any good at all? How about the PG56 by Shure? A little more money, but is it better or are you paying for the name? Should I hold out for the e604's? I'm kinda in a hurry for some tom mics and short on cash.

like CAD or samson....................are they any good at all? How about the PG56 by Shure? A little more money, but is it better or are you paying for the name? Should I hold out for the e604's? I'm kinda in a hurry for some tom mics and short on cash.

Im actually gonna take my chances for some cheaper drum mics, and save up for the Shure PG pack thing...the reviews make the thing sound like a decent deal. They cant be too bad...but i wouldnt go CAD.

do NOT go cad. If you want CAD, I've got a set of 5 that you can HAVE! They are complete and udder garbage. I wouldn't even deal with Samson. Just build up your mics slowly... I recommend mid-level Shure mics (beta52, sm57, sm81, etc.) Then get better ones later (Royer, 421's C1000's, etc.)

don't skimp out on your mics... They're a very important part in your chain...bad mics + best preamps = bad recording.

The most important thing in the chain is the instrument and the player. That being said, don't skimp on equipment if you plan on doing recording and getting decent results, especially if you want to do it as a service.

You won't always get good musicians, so good gear to make up for the bad musicianship! Mics that everyone has are generally mics that are worth their salt. SM57s, RE-20s, MD421s, SM7s, Beta52s, all excellent 'industry standard' dynamic microphones that will allow you to mic not only drums but pretty much anything else.

There are gems that aren't expensive that you'll find to be uncommon, but they're not always going to work for you. I love ATM25s and low-end CAD mics but I'm not a reputable engineer and that may be why : )

In the end tough, buying shitty mics for a project is POINTLESS longevity-wise. Get the best stuff you can over however long it takes. In the end, if you can borrow something and make it work, you'll be MUCH better off.

Thanks guys, I think I just needed to have what I already knew reinforced. Right now I'm using an AKGd112 in the kick, a pair of MXL603s overhead and a Shure SM57 on the snare, I just need three tom mics. I'd prefer Shure Beta56's or Sennheiser e604's, and eventually will have them, but right now I'm pretty tight and I need mics in less than two weeks.

For the price, I might not even screw with tom mics. Get the OHs positioned well and you may be just peachy. Lots of folks do the Recorderman set up with nothing more than OHs, kick and snare and get good results... then if you find you need it, add mics later. However, I would recommend for recording to get mics that DO NOT clip to the drums (SM57, i5, ATM650, etc). The clip ons just pick up all sorts of boomy vibrations through the drums every time the kick hits which can be cleaned up to a point with gates, but I prefer it to not even be in there to begin with.

You can have them if you pay shipping, and I can find them...LOL

Then again, who would've thought getting 7 mics for 200 bucks would be cheap mics??? LMFAO

Please dont get the PG mics.

Get this kit http://www.karmaaudio.com/clearance.html

Then save up for some real mics.

...don't overlook the Phoenix kit because of the price...these are really very useable and durable mics...we use them for gigs and in the studio...add a GLS Audio ES57 for the snare
http://cgi.ebay.com/GLS-Audio-ES-57...ryZ15198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and you're more than "good to go"...for less than $140 you'll have a very viable arsenal of drum mics...I use them on live gigs and they haven't failed yet...and don't overlook the ES-58 for live vocal gigging...beats the SM58 on a lot of voices...really!...I've ordered many of them for friends who hear them on our live gigs and are very impressed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/GLS-Audio-ES-58...ryZ41468QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back