Characteristics of LA-2A/1176.

ChristopherDawn

These are both pretty damn classic compressors, but I'm wondering what characteristics they have.

Do either of them shine on anything in particular?

I don't have the real things (using a UAD-1) but everything I've used these on sound great. I love em.

Both have wonder flavor and are freakishly similar sounding to the hardware - On top of that, the Pultec alone is worth twice the price of the whole set.

The 1176 would "normally" be a good choice for... Well, anything that's asking for it.

God, I hate my answers...

Drums, drum groups, vocalists (not vocal groups), guitars, bass...

The LA2A is more of a "warm, transparent" sort of thing that's better suited for the softer side of things - Breathy vocals, acoustic instruments, overheads, yada, yada.

There you go - Dynamic mics = 1176. Condenser mics = LA2A. I never noticed that I have a pattern of which unit (or plug) I would use until just now.

Again, no "rules" - Use 'yer ears and just go with it.

That's (the UAD-1) the best bang-for-the-buck currently available IMO. You'll get a lot of mileage from it.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Massive Master said:

Again, no "rules" - Use 'yer ears and just go with it.

You will only know after you try it. You may or may not like it because humans are about as subjective as subjective gets. Its one of those things where you know when you hear it. But unless you have something to compare it to from a relativity sense, your lost in a sea of unanswered questions.
For either device to work right the stuff going into it must be right. Move the mic to as many places possible before determining what kinda spices to add.

SoMm

Back