changing latency during mixdown?

ikijapan

Hey all,

I am slightly unclear about how latency affects everything, as I understand it, whatever your latency setting is, is how much delay you will experience during recording a track? I noticed before that when I would play something on my midi keyboard with a high latency setting, the sound would be delayed coming back to me (I think I had it at like 25 ms)

So, I changed it to I believe 10 ms. Now everything sounds and works perfect. The only problem comes during mixdown...

When I start to apply certain effects, mostly compression or especially limiting, I get all kinds of snap crackle pops going on.

I checked my CPU usage, and RAM, and I'm not even at 50% on either. Processor is P4 2.4 Ghz, and 1GB of RAM btw.

So, someone told me the latency can cause that. OK, fine. I'll go in and change it. But I don't understand how this will affect everything. Is it fine to change the latency to whatever during mixdown??
Is latency only important during the tracking stage?? Since my CPU has got room to spare should I be changing a different setting first? I'm quite sure changing the latency will stop the crackling, because as I recall I didn't get that before at the 25 ms setting. But I;m not sure if I am using my resources best by doing that.

Help please?

Back