Changing default media player for IE?

reshp1

Well I installed quicktime finally after years of boycotting Apple. They didn't fail to disappoint, it has monopolized my computer. I specifically told it not to select itself as the default player during installation, and although files on my hard drive aren't affected, mp3's launched from Internet Explorer are now defaulted to quicktime. How do I change this? I can't find it anywhere in the options in IE, except the add-on bullshit, but if I disable quicktime, the mp3s don't work at all. Grrr.. I'll give it a day, if I can't figure it out I'm uninstalling this piece of shit program. :mad:

I had the same problem. It's the quicktime browser plugin that is the culprit. No matter what I did, I couldn't disable it for streaming files. I ended up uninstalling that POS. I deliberately didn't buy an IPOD because of this whole iTunes/Quicktime bundle they have now.

scrubs said:
I had the same problem. It's the quicktime browser plugin that is the culprit. No matter what I did, I couldn't disable it for streaming files. I ended up uninstalling that POS. I deliberately didn't buy an IPOD because of this whole iTunes/Quicktime bundle they have now.
Hmm, that sucks, the only reason I finally ended up getting it was to follow Bruce Miller's Audio Course examples, and unfortunately it's not worth the hassle.

I think of Quicktime as about the same things as Real Player. Anybody doing stuff ONLY to that format doesn't deserve me watching it! :)

Gentlemen, gentlemen, no need tio get cranky! While I feel your pain, I recomend that you keep Quicktime around. There are lots of Quicktime movies out there.

As for your file problem - is it ONLY MP3s that IE launches that are effected? I'm sure you know that the default Windows program a particular file type uses to execute itself is pretty easy to change. Open ANY folder and select Tools / Folder Options / File Types, select your file type, and click on the "change" button.

I would think the IE uses this default rather than having its own list, but I've been known to be wong....

RWhite said:
Gentlemen, gentlemen, no need tio get cranky! While I feel your pain, I recomend that you keep Quicktime around. There are lots of Quicktime movies out there.

As for your file problem - is it ONLY MP3s that IE launches that are effected? I'm sure you know that the default Windows program a particular file type uses to execute itself is pretty easy to change. Open ANY folder and select Tools / Folder Options / File Types, select your file type, and click on the "change" button.

I would think the IE uses this default rather than having its own list, but I've been known to be wong....

Well, I did that, but any weblink containing media still defaulted to quicktime, although files on my drive would open up in wmp. Like I said, quicktime also installs a browser plugin and, even if you deselect all media types, it still plays them by default. In Firefox, you have the option to disable all the browser plugins, which will work, but then you sometimes get an error when you click on a link that says something like "quicktime required." I dunno, it wasn't worth the hassle for me. After about 2 days of fighting with it, I gave up.

There are LOTS of (free) mp3 players to be had online. Usually, once installed, you can go to it's preferances area and pick and choose what files you want associated with the new installed player.

OR

You can go to the Explorer window, select Tools from the menu, then Folder Options. When you're in this Dialog Box you'll see some tabs at the top. Select File Types and 'associate' mp3 files with whatever player you want (naturally, it must be an installed program so it shows on the list).
I.e., select MP3 (or whatever) from the list, below, under details, select the executable file to use to play the MP3 file. When finished, close out of there. Now, when you select an mp3 file from your Explorer window, it will play using the (new) program you associated with mp3 earlier. This (new) player will automatically be used by Windows/IE to play/stream the mp3 from a website.

Thanks Tamky and RWhite, but that's not my problem. I've done what each of you have suggested and deassociated mp3's with quicktime. Unfortunately, mp3's via IE STILL play in Quicktime, in fact it plays in a new IE window with a quicktime plugin (?). Perhaps as scrubs says, there is a IE specific setting or plugin that I can't disable (well I can, but then mp3's don't play altogether). I'm getting pretty sick of fighting it, so bye bye quicktime.

do a google search for QuickTime Alternative. It's a plug-in for windows media player that allows you to view quicktime movies without actually having to have quicktime. It seems to work pretty well.

Interesting problem. I talked to one of the Apple-Heads I work with and he was likewise not familiar with a seperate Quick time plug-in for IE. He suggested switching to Firefox. He also speculated that the sights you are visiting may be using Qucktime Streaming Server.

Personally I use IE on a bunch of machines, I have Quicktime installed on all of them, and I've never encountered that problem.

You could also try going into Add /Remove programs / Add remove Windows Componants and remove Internet Explorer, then reboot and add it back again.

Here is what I'm talking about. It is the quicktime that comes bundled with the latest version of iTunes (you cannot run iTunes without it). I've used it with both Firefox and IE, and it just won't let go of the file types. I've deselected everything except QT movies and made sure that all other file types are set to open with WMP. Doesn't matter.

Attachments

• QT plugin.jpg
    QT plugin.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 11
  • QT plugin2.jpg
    QT plugin2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 9
Well, it's a work issued computer so I'm sure the IT folk would love me if I switched browsers citing mp3 as the reason :D. I don't think it's just sites that stream specifically for quicktime either. My yardstick for whether quicktime has let go is NL5's Lighting MP3 server, so....

I'll check out the WMPlayer add on, should make life easier. :o

Back