Chance, and others with experience in group buy ribbons...

Fab4ever

Getting better
Hi. I can only afford ONE ribbon mic from the group buy, and I typically record vocals (and some hand percussion). I have some decent condensers and dynamics, but no ribbons. Generally I record myself (a shaky baritone) and other male vocalists (baritone-tenor).

Do you, Chance, or others with some experience with Group Buy (TnC) ribbons, have any advice for me? Even if it's non-conclusive, I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Fab

Obviously since I'm not Chance--I don't know about the new mics. But of the ribbons that were available in the last buy and again in this one, I have 3. I've got the ACM-3 (the R***r lookin' one), the ACM-1 (the old fashion looking big pill) and the ACM-4 (the rectangle).

I like 'em all, but if I could keep just one, and it was going to be used for male vox, it'd be the ACM-1.

That doesn't help you with any of the other models, but there's my thoughts on the one's I know.

Good luck!

I only have the ACM-4. I use it for female vocals and electric violin. It is nice because it tames the harshness of the violin and mellows my vocalist (alto & second soprano) who at times can be ear-piercing.
I have spoken into both sides of it and from that I feel it might be better suited to higher voices. The proximity effect on it can make a thinner sounding male voice fatter if used carefully.

I like the mic, it's dark and kinda weird but really useful. But for baritone maybe consider one of the single ribbon jobs.

I only have the ACM-4. I use it for female vocals and electric violin. It is nice because it tames the harshness of the violin and mellows my vocalist (alto & second soprano) who at times can be ear-piercing.
I have spoken into both sides of it and from that I feel it might be better suited to higher voices. The proximity effect on it can make a thinner sounding male voice fatter if used carefully.

I like the mic, it's dark and kinda weird but really useful. But for baritone maybe consider one of the single ribbon jobs.

I have all four of the original series mics... well, the third-party equivalent of the ACM-1, plus the actual ACM-2, ACM-3, and ACM-4. If I were picking one, it would be the ACM-2 or the ACM-300.

Whatever you buy, it will sound better if you replace the transformer, with the exception of the active mics (e.g. ACM-300) which are anybody's guess. The ACM-2 is the most acoustically transparent, IMHO, thanks to less metal and/or plastic between you and the mic. Okay, that's technically also true for the ACM-1, but it has some body ring that is less than ideal, and I think Michael Joly made some comments about reflections inside the headbasket as well, which could explain why I don't like them on trumpet.... It would be my second choice if I were picking just one mic and the ACM-2 were out of consideration for some reason. I've used the commercial equivalent of the ACM-1 with a Lundahl transfomer upgrade frequently on tenor vocals, and I like it a lot for that.

Anyway, my vote would be the ACM-2, or again, possibly the ACM-300, but without actually having owned any of the new active mics, I can't say for sure. Worst come to worst, you can always rip out the active electronics and slap in a ribbon mic transformer and you won't be significantly worse off than if you'd bought the ACM-2 and done the same thing, though, apart from the extra cost of the electronics. Probably worth giving the active version a shot, IMHO, given that it is far easier to make the ACM-300 into something very similar to an ACM-2 than it is to do the reverse. :D

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I was sort of leaning to the ACM-2, but then second guessed myself.

I'd appreciate hearing anyone else with thoughts, as well.

do you have to get just one?

edit: I've got all 4 -- I replaced the transformers in them. I'd vote for the ACM-1 for male vocals. The ACM-4 is great for shriller sources. I like the ACM-2 for heavy guitar amps and the ACM-3 (I have a crinkle in my ACM-3 ribbon that I hope to fix when we get replacements) for clean guitar amps.

Last week I used the ACM-4 for the chanter on bagpipes, and the ACM-2 for the drones. Both were great -- the ACM-4 held up very well to that punishingly loud shrillness, and the neighbors didn't even have to call the ASPCM (association for the prevention of cruelty to microphones).

Last edited:
Ha! Well, I'd love to get 'em all, but I can't. And unfortunately the ACM-1 isn't available this group buy.

Have any of you chosen the ACM-70? as I noted that the frequency response goes up to 18Khz - Does that mean it might suit vocals better than those that go only to 15Khz?

Ah I realize it's all a guessing game - depends on the voice, the room, the pre, etc. etc. I'm just trying to make the wisest choice I can with the limited resources I have - which, I suppose, is why I keep coming here!

I believe I have read that if there's no price listed, they aren't going to be ordered. But I'm happy to hear conclusively... Randy? Chance?

I believe I have read that if there's no price listed, they aren't going to be ordered. But I'm happy to hear conclusively... Randy? Chance?

Yes, Chance said that they wouldn't be ordered. I meant to drop them from the list last week, and explain this in the last mass email but forgot...

Even though there have been 2 participants so far, that have paid, that have chosen the ACM-1, since it's price was $0.00, it made no bearing on the final price that they actually paid, nor to the amount of processing fees they paid...

I'll send out a mass email ONLY to those who have chosen the ACM-1 informing them of this, then I'll remove it from the list.

Below will be the contents of that email:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is not a mass email to everyone in the group buy, but only to those of you whom have chosen the ACM-1 microphone as one of your products.

I have recieved several emails regarding the price and availability of ACM-1 for the group buy. There was never a price set for this item, as interest was lacking all along. The price up to this point, has been $0.00. I talked to Chance last night and he has decided to totally drop this item from the group buy due to lack of interest. Considering the low quantities ordered, you can buy this microphone from established dealers such as Nady, cheaper than this group buy would be able to offer them.

I know that a few of you have already paid for your group buy products and the ACM-1 was in your order. Since the price of this microphone was set at $0.00, this did not effect your final checkout dollar paid amount...you didn't pay for something that you'll not be receiving.

Just wanted to let you know that this microphone will be taken off the User Console as an available item.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Randy
Zetajazz44

I have the acm4 and acm3. The acm4 is delightfully weird. It has a lot of character. I've used it on soprano vocalists and it has been an excellent alternative to the usual stuff. Surprisingly, it has worked well for me on breathy vocals too. I recorded one baritone with it, but opted for an at4033a instead. i didnt like it as much in that application.

Back