CF card as system disk

PeteHalo

Does anybody have any experience in using CF card as a hard disk? I'm thinking about replacing the system disk of my desk top computer with an 8GB Compact Flash with 266x speed rating and a CF-to-IDE adapter to make the computer boot faster and run more silently.

This is the best I could find on the matter, as it is the only article I can muster that seems to give detailed info on installing a full Windows XP on a memory stick.

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/accessories/0,239029388,339271777,00.htm

I don't know if its a good idea or not - I haven't really thought of the full implications of what this might do to your system (tying up the USB bus, for example, with OS related processing constantly). Worth a shot, I suppose, if ya got the time.

In this case the CF card will be connected thru IDE connection and not USB. To computer it will look like an ordinary 8GB HD and shouldn't cause any problems. At least in theory booting should be quicker because unlike a conventional hard disk there's no need to mechanically move a read head around the disk while reading files from different physical locations on CF card.

Yes I'm aware of those but these fast 8GB CF cards cost about 1/3 of the price of those flash memory devices of same size.

Oh, I don't expect anybody to drop a couple hundred just so their hard drive is non-mechanical. Especially since this technology is developing so quickly - 6 months from now there will probably be 8 and 16 GB 2.5" IDE drives readily available for a couple hundred... such is life in the tech world. But yea, not worth the cost.

Back