Certain vocal effect

El Niño

Hey all

That's not really my first post (see sig), so I'll go without the usual "Hello, my name is Danny and I am a recordoholic." ;)

The question I have today is: How is this disco-poppy vocal effect achieved (second time the "answer" harmonies kick in)?

www .box.net/shared/ogyhfnbpmk92o5admq1b

(sorry for the spaces: I can't paste URLs before having done 5 posts)

I thought of plain bad pitch shifting... but maybe there's more to it. Vocoder? Never used one of these, don't even know what they do exactly :D

Thanks for your suggestions.

It's a harmonizer or AutoTune. Definitely not a vocoder. The "flanging" is probably due to poor recording technique rather than a deliberate effect.

Autotune in 1977... ;)

I for one also thought it could be a harmonizer or manual pitch shifting. But there's a certain "swell" (which is admittedly reminiscent of autotune).

Anyway... I don't have a harmonizer-plug so I will play around with pitch shifting and flanger, and if it doesn't get me close, I'll try the harmonizer of my guitar mfx. :)

Thanks, guys.

The "answer" lines weren't in the original track from 1977, son. The MP3 you posted was a remix.

If you show me a version without them - and I'm talking about the ride out chorus, not the two during the song - I believe you, daddy. Nevertheless I don't think this "remake" was made in the late 90s or later.

... and now that I've critically listened to it again and also tried the harmonizer of my guitar MFX on vocals, I say it's a simple harmonizer / pitch-shifter.

Back