Centrino vs. P4 vs. AMD Ghz specs?

Lorddiagram

Hello

Looking to get a new notebook and tring to make sense out of the Ghz - doesn’t seem to really mean anything anymore?

Is a 1.7 Ghz Centrino as fast as a 2.6 Ghz Piv and a 2500XP? Any clear way to determine speed?

Thanks for any replies..

lD

AMD has lower Mhz processors, but the "pipeline", or how many steps the processor takes to perform an operation, is shorter than Pentiums. So while Pentiums can perform more steps since it has more Mhz, it isn't as efficient as AMD's. That's why AMD started naming their processors like 2500XP, even though it's clocked at ~1.8 Ghz; because it was meant to compete with Pentium 2.5 Ghz, performance-wise.

What will you be using your laptop for? Pentiums still hold the crown for media (audio or video) encoding, so if you'll be compressing a lot of video or audio, you'll save time with a Pentium. But for everything else, including gaming, AMD is equal or better than Intel. And when you take price into the equation, AMD's are MUCH MUCH less expensive than Intel's, for equal performance.

"Centrino" computers mean that there's a mobile pentium inside, along with an intel-brand wireless card. That's it. Laptop processors almost always slow themselves down when running on battery power, so a 1.7 Ghz laptop will actually be closer to 1.0 Ghz when it's not plugged in.

I recommend you save some money and get a Athlon-XP laptop, unless you're going to be doing some serious media-encoding. (in which case you'd be much better off with a desktop).

crimson117 said:
"Centrino" computers mean that there's a mobile pentium inside, along with an intel-brand wireless card. That's it. Laptop processors almost always slow themselves down when running on battery power, so a 1.7 Ghz laptop will actually be closer to 1.0 Ghz when it's not plugged in.
As far as I know, when you need the horsepower, the cpu will run at max. It's hp on demand.

Laptops may only carry the name Centrino when they have a Pentium M cpu (which doesn't equal de mobile Pentium 4), the i855 chipset AND the integrated wireless option enabled.
A Pentium M is clock for clock a lot faster than a Pentium 4. I don't know exact figures but 1.7 vs. 2.6 may well be pretty accurate.

Search for comparison tables on the internet.

My opinion: Centrinos are way cool, they're powerful and can run very long on one battery.

I'm going to buy a laptop very soon. Unfortunately the Centrino's aren't the cheapest laptops; it looks like I can't afford one. It will be a mobile AMD XP 2500+ for me. It will also be part of my mobile recording rig and I'll need some power outlets for my preamps anyway. One extra for the laptop isn't a problem then..

Back