Celerons?

redCashion

Hey guys, I just bought my sweet fulltower case and my TUSL2-C, but now I find myself scrounging a bit for money. I was planning on getting the pIII 1gig chip, but would rather not shell out $170 if I can help it. The 1gig Celly is a bit more attractive at only seventy bucks, but is it a good chip for recording?

Most of the recording that I do is multi-tracked, so it is likely that I would never use more than 2 inputs at a time. And I don't use mega-loads of plugins....

Thoughts?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Celeron 1000 chip. Fast enough. Faster than my PIII 800MHz. I'm thinking of buying one myself. The TUSL2 is a nice board. Celerons are around in 1.2GHz flavours as well.

I actually can't find a 1.2 celeron for sale yet. That would probably be my chip of choice at the moment as it is the first celly to be tualitin (sp?). It is interesting though, I was just looking at comparably priced chips, it is interesting that the pIII 866 is priced the same as the pIV 1.5 gig. Obviously ego wise I would rather have a 1.5 gig chip in my computer, but from what I have heard the pIII is still the chip of choice.

Emeric, do you know that a 1 gig celeron would give faster real world performance than the 800? I haven't found any benchmark tests out there to prove or disprove that... if anyone know what would give better performance, a 866 pIII or a 1.1 celeron, I would love to know...

Thanks...:)

I don't know. I'm speculating, based on how fast the celerons are, and always have been (with the exception of the first ones sans cache.) I've used celerons for recording, the old overclocked ones, the classic 300A @ 450. No problems there, upgraded to PIII 650, improvement for sure. All depends what you need.

I can't give you any benchmarks, but from experience with the ever-changing computer market I can guess that with a celeron 1000, I'd get another plug-in or two, and a few seconds less on exporting wav's.

You got a good motherboard, that's way up there on the criteria for a solid, stable DAW. Celeron or PIII at 1000MHz - your guaranteed 24 tracks of 24bit 44.1 - Provided you have decent memory - 256MB or 512MB, fast hard drives, 7200RPM - and you've set your machine up right, and optimized as best as possible.

Performance track-wise is pretty cheap these days. It's just getting it to work properly that's the headache. OS, recording software, soundcard etc etc etc.............

I've read that the on-die cache of the Celeron helps when running plugins...

I have a 550 Celeron system that plays back lots of audio track without a problem. A gig would be nice.

I know about the headache of getting things set up right. I had been using one computer for everything: gaming, graphics, internet, music recording. It is a Duron 650 with a VIA mobo, and it has been impossible to get a clean track consistantly. That is why I am building the second computer, I've got a sweet Antec case, the TUSL2-C, unfortunately I will have to scrimp on CPU and probably get the 1.1 celeron. But with crucial RAM and fast hard drives, plus my Delta 44...I should have a pretty nice setup..

Kermit, its a funny world when I am talking about a 1.1 gigahertz chip and refering to as "scrimping"....

Thanks for the info on the cache, I hadn't heard that...

Some benchmarks...

I personally think the 1 GHz Celeron would be just great for recording on. That's really more than enough speed for any current software. If you play games, your video card is more important - and for recording, the hard drive's speed is more important. Unless of course you run a LOT of realtime plug-ins. But even if you do, I doubt that you'd have any trouble with the Celeron.

I'm curious about how the 1 GHz Celeron would perform against the 800MHz PIII. I'd think the PIII would be faster, but I'm not sure. Anyway. here are a few benchmarks and reviews that might interest you:

Celeron 1200MHz vs. Duron 1100MHz.
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q4/011003/index.html

Sharky's CPU Review archive section.
http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/hardware_cpu.shtml

Back